Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cruisair Amerage Draw

The salon Cruisair unit on my 56 MY has started to draw a lot of amps, albeit only for a split second (like 1/10th of a second). When the compressor kicks on, it will draw anywhere between 60-80 amps and then drop down to normal draw. Other than the amperage spike the unit seems to be working fine. I noticed it because the lights flicker and the genset swoops low for a moment when the spike occurs. It also occurs on dockside power. The spike is both in the cool and the heat mode. It is an original Cruisar 24K BTU unit model WFAH 24C. Does this result from a need for a charge, a compressor problem, an electrical problem or just from a unit that is need of replacement. Not sure where to start checking but I would hate to have to replace the unit if it is something simple. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Cruisair Amerage Draw

Add bad start capacitor as another possible cause for the problem. Hoping Steve might see this and chime in. Will head to his forum soon.

Had exactly the same symptoms with my 24K BTU Salon Cruisair. The sypmtoms then got worse - the compressor would start/stop/restart/stop/restart and finally run perfectly fine until the next time it had to restart. Turned out it was the connection at the compressor itself which had become corroded/burnt. This is the connection "box"on the actual compressor itself, NOT the large connection/relay box that is mounted on the same frame.

The power connection in the small box was almost non-existent. The terminal on the wire had maybe half of the wire strands still remaining and all green from corrosion. I cut back the wire to good core, installed a new connector, cleaned the male terminal at the compressor and reattached the wire.

Surge current went from around 80A back down to around 45 and genny no longer dropped RPM.

As noted, it could be the start cap but in my case it wasn't so check out those wires/connections.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

John~

I have answered your post in my forum:

http://marine-ac.com/forum/troublesh...pressor/#p2049

Steve~

I'll never understand why people can't go to Steve's site with their questions first. He is a great guy and would probably never say anything, but he has started a site and several times requested very politely, people ask their questions there. It appears some people are just too rude to get it. Another little point that has contributed to the site not being what it used to be.

I don't agree; IMO any post re Hatt maint, regardless if there is a better tech site for the specific issue, should be here first so all Hatt folks can see it and be aware of it. If you go straight to to Steve's site, for example, then no one here has the benefit of seeing what folks are experiencing with a critical part of the boat's systems.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I completely agree with Mike.

I think Steve Pooler is a great addition to this forum, but let's not forget this forum is funded and and administered by Sam's Marine and using questions here to divert traffic to another commercial site for an answer just isn't kosher (I am tempted to use a stronger term) in my estimation. A Hatteras-related question asked here should be answered here. So Steve, cut and paste the answer in your forum here.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

My Cruisair amp draw issue was similar to what Mike describes. It was discussed ad-nauseum in another post here. My guy rewired the burned wires on the units and changed out a bad control knob and my problems were 100% solved.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Steve has a point. it is hard to monitor everyone else's sights to offer free advice and still get some work done. I give him credit for helping here but reality says that his sight is specific to AC and if there is an AC question you want him to answer have some courtesy and ash it there. last I checked Sams does not do AC repair so I see no conflict. Owning a Hatteras does not make you special. It's not like you have to be a gazillionair to buy one of the classics. Taking care of them is something we do because we love them and want to enjoy them. That's what make you special.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I just bought a 5 unit raw water intake manifold from Sam's, so they do sell AC related products. To me, it's kind of like hanging around someone's store soliciting their customers by telling them you'll answer a question if they come over to your store. Steve has done a super job answering questions right here, including mine, and doesn't need to stoop to that, IMO.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014