Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wits end

Wits end

Good morning
    Some of you already know about my electrical issues on my 1975 64 ft m/y.
    It has US wiring and was also wired for european use. I hired a electrician #1
    He spent 3 hours looking at it and decided he didnt want to mess with it.
    Electrician #2(wards marine service) said they would contact us, for an appointment to come look at it. Its been 15 days, no call yet. Elect.#3 would not even com to the boat, he said hes retiring, then said the boat was too old. I need some kind of help and im reaching out to you guys. Does anyone know of someone willing to come assess this for me and give me options?
    I expect to pay thats not the problem. I cant do the rest of the projects on this boat until im comfortable that its corrected. Or should i just re wire the boat? Seems people have no problem coming out to do that. Thanks in advance.

Tony.
    Tony1975 64ft Hatteras MY"Escape Plan"Ft. Pierce, Fl.

Re: Wits end

Have you reached out to Scott Bickwald? If not PM me for his info, not sure I can post it here. Or find him on the Scott Saved my…thread I think he was allowed to post so you might PM him directly.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by ESCAPE PLAN View Post
    Good morning
    Some of you already know about my electrical issues on my 1975 64 ft m/y.
    It has US wiring and was also wired for european use. I hired a electrician #1
    He spent 3 hours looking at it and decided he didnt want to mess with it.
    Electrician #2(wards marine service) said they would contact us, for an appointment to come look at it. Its been 15 days, no call yet. Elect.#3 would not even com to the boat, he said hes retiring, then said the boat was too old. I need some kind of help and im reaching out to you guys. Does anyone know of someone willing to come assess this for me and give me options?
    I expect to pay thats not the problem. I cant do the rest of the projects on this boat until im comfortable that its corrected. Or should i just re wire the boat? Seems people have no problem coming out to do that. Thanks in advance.

Tony.
    Scott can probably help, or offer alternatives. Also consider another call to Ward's to follow up.
    Edit: It just occurred to me that there are marine surveyors that perform electrical surveys. That could be a place to start.
    Last edited by SeaEric; 03-17-2024 at 09:38 AM.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Scott will be able to help. Do you have your electrical drawings? I believe he is working on a boat like this now. Probably just have to track down and reverse modifications.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I would keep trying to get Wards to come .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Calling Ward's again today but am conversing with Scott also.

Ward's have a good rep, but quite a few people on the HOF speak very well of Scott and his availability.

It's all about finding documentation to see who changed what and where.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Well here's where i am at. Had "reputable" marine electric company come out and take a look.
    the electrician, very good, very knowledgeable, figured out my issue in less than 2 hours i gained much knowledge from speaking with him.
    basically i was told by him exactly what i needed and what would be done to correct my issue.
    after a couple of days i received a quote for $18,500.00 which includes 1 isolation transformer@ $2200.00 2 galvanic isolators(which i was quoted, but don't need and 100hours for labor. to include putting the legs in the proper places in the ss panels, installing the transformer (with my assistance, cause its heavy as hell). the parts are the parts, but the labor seems a little excessive. i dont mind paying if its justified, but it seems that what the electrician told me and what the service mgr. sent me just dont line up. and since we called them to question certain things, we have heard nothing but crickets. not sure what to do.

10. Re: Wits end

Now at least you have an idea of what is needed to fix it.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"