Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Onan MDJE Raw Water Pump Not Pushing Water/ Cure

My Onan MDJE raw water pump stopped pumping water this year. I would help it get prime and it would pump for awhile, but then act erratically. Finally, I was out for a short day cruise, running the genny underway, and she lost prime again, overheating, losing internal coolant and the overheat switch shut her down; thank heavens the overheat switch works!

So I finally began to take a closer look, since I have seen this type of post before of MDJE raw water pumps failing to pump.

My poor mans micrometer found that the bore that the impeller sits in seems to be uneven in depth and esp. that it is deeper now that the width of the impeller. So instead of a tight/close fit for the impeller, there is a very slight gap between the end/cover plate and the impeller; about 1/32" or smaller.

I also notice that when I poured water into the upper priming port that it ran out fairly quickly from the lower port; that is with the cover plate and gasket installed. So that is another indicator of a tiny gap between the impeller and cover plate.

My Cure (Temporary or Permaent- not sure):

I just so happen to have a small sheet of 1/32" Copper Sheet Stock. I cut out a profile that is a good fit for the bore of the impeller cavity and fits also to the cam in the bore. I fine tuned the fit with my Dremel and chain saw sharpener grinder bit, for a fairly smooth edge.

When I had a good fit, I installed the impeller, with the ubiquitous Dawn detergent, and inserted the Copper insert into bore, which sat against the impeller at the the very outer edge of the bore. I installed the cover plate and gasket, including inserting the upper hold down screw fairly firmly, and rotated the plate into place, so that the copper insert would remain in the bore. I finally installed the other two hold down screws to the factory 16" #'s.

I filled up the Genny internal coolant reservoir with DD pre-mix coolant; it was low from the overheat.

Sorry, since this was a proof of concept, aka first time try, I did not take pictures; those will follow when can.

I did prime the pump upper port and found far less leaking out the lower port, which I felt was a sign of a tighter fit between the impeller and cover plate. I re-installed both the port plugs.

I have been getting no prime, up to now, so with fingers crossed, I went through the start up procedure, and it fired right away.

After about 10 seconds, spurts of water began appearing and at about 15 seconds, major flow began. This was a huge breakthrough, since I did not help the priming process, above the upper port. I then loaded the Genny by running the AC's and she ran fine. No leaks at the raw water pump and no unusual noises or vibration, which might have been due to my Copper insert. So all seemed well.

I stopped and started the Genny several times, always getting good water flow. I also ran her with heavier loads and she ran well, with no smoking. I fact, in the past, under heavy load she would smoke a little. I am wondering if she was not always getting enough raw water flow.

I shot various areas of the cooling system, with my temperature gun and all seemed be in normal ranges of 175-190 degrees, depending on where shot. That was also good.

I will go back in a few days and try her again. I will check the coolant reservoir to ensure she is up.

So if this fix holds up, I will continue to use it. Eventually I will attempt to have my pump bore re-worked to the correct depth and uniform dimensions.

So if anyone else starts to have raw water pumping issues, it could be your pump is worn beyond serviceable specs, esp. the end play between the impeller and Cover Plate, primarily due to wear at the end/bottom of the bore. I don't think these pumps are available anymore, e.g. from Cummins. If I am able to rework the pump, I will post that. I will also post some pictures of the internals, i.e. the Copper insert.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 08-21-2017 at 01:25 PM. Reason: insert not
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: Onan MDJE Raw Water Pump Not Pushing Water/ Cure

Thanks for Post! If nothing else, nice to know others out there having the same problem (which I am). There is a wear plate on back end of pump impeller housing. I ordered one few weeks ago, along with new cam and cover plate, and just waiting for some time to put in (maybe today after the solar eclipse). Hoping that solves my prime problem. I rebuilt the pump about 5 years ago and probably have only 50 hours on it since then (have an inverter I use 95% of time). Figured I would have replaced wear plate then, but can't find receipt for it so hoping that's it. The problem of losing prime only started this season. Think I'll bring machinist gauges down and take some measurements while I have apart when I do replace parts per your findings to help quantify. Hope we can solve it! All and all my MDJE still runs well.

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    Thanks for Post! If nothing else, nice to know others out there having the same problem (which I am). There is a wear plate on back end of pump impeller housing. I ordered one few weeks ago, along with new cam and cover plate, and just waiting for some time to put in (maybe today after the solar eclipse). Hoping that solves my prime problem. I rebuilt the pump about 5 years ago and probably have only 50 hours on it since then (have an inverter I use 95% of time). Figured I would have replaced wear plate then, but can't find receipt for it so hoping that's it. The problem of losing prime only started this season. Think I'll bring machinist gauges down and take some measurements while I have apart when I do replace parts per your findings to help quantify. Hope we can solve it! All and all my MDJE still runs well.
    Thanks for the note, esp. that you are experiencing the same issues with pump losing prime. As for whether they replaced the wearplate, during the rebuild, wouldn't be the first time someone "saved you money, etc." and did not install a new one.

I earlier researched this morning and found a source for the 131-0158 wearplate. I then saw your reply, so the wearplate sounds like a good option. I ordered one at $6, so will install that, at some point. Apparently "very little" wear will cause loss of prime. Very little means not much wear to the naked eye, but enough to prevent a good seal for the impeller.

The measurements I made were of the impeller bore depth around the periphery of the bore. If you pull the cover plate and make some measurements, I would be curious if you found the bore depth to be greater than the impeller width. Since the cover plate is held slightly away from the body, by the width of the gasket, that would indicate a slight amount of clearance is needed, but wearplate wear exceeds that tolerance.

Thanks for your reply.

P.s., I have gotten frustrated with UPS and FX, so now use USPS. I understand that USPS is delivering "the last mile" for either UPS or FX anyway, in some cases. Also, if the item will fit in the mailbox, that protects the item. By law, UPS and FX cannot use the mailbox, or anyone else for that matter.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 08-21-2017 at 01:27 PM.

As cover plate is not notched to compensate for gasket thickness, you would think the impeller would have to stick out that same thickness to get good seal, right? I know mine currently does not.

I had the opposite problem with my Onan. When I bought the boat 10 months ago, it had a 20kw Northern Lights genny that was working fine, but the 20kw Onan (backup?) was not running; the broker told me the previous owner would not talk to me (and still refuses to do so), so I had to discover all the idiosyncrasies of the boat myself.
    When I finally got to the Onan, I primed the fuel, and cranked it and it started easily after a few seconds (I have no idea how long it had been since it had run; it could have been years) but it seemed fine except the fan belt slipped completely while squealing loudly. Upon inspection of the raw water pump, it became obvious the impeller was about 1/8" too wide and was binding badly in the pump housing. A new impeller completely fixed the problem.
    The old impeller was clearly used and worn (the "bulbs" on the vanes were somewhat flattened); could the impeller have somehow swelled from disuse? It made no sense.

Excellent, and timely, discussion on Onan raw water pumps. I have a diesel MDJE 7.5KW.
    I too am experiencing new low flow/loss of prime issues. I have checked the obvious things
    (impeller, strainer, belt tension, back-flush lines) to no avail.

Question for the forum: How common is it to have these pump parts 'wear out' (wear plate, cam)?
    My boat is approaching 40 years of age. I have owned for 9 years and up to now regular impeller
    replacement has sufficed. I do not know the prior maintenance history of this pump.
    Ken C.
    Comfort Zone
    1978 42' Bertram FBMY
    Sandusky, Ohio

Update on the new Onan Pump impeller "wear plate". Pics to follow, after transfer from phone.

1) I pulled the old wear plate, which is very easy to do.
    2) Remove the pump Cover Plate and gasket
    -- 2a) In my case, next pull out (zero effort) my copper sheet "adapter"; about 1/32" dimension
    3) Pull the impeller
    -- 3a) Inspect impeller- no cracks or wear
    4) Pull the screw holding the internal body/cavity "cam"
    -- 4a) The hex head machine screw that holds down the "cam" inside the pump cavity, is the same hex head size (1/4") as the cover plate screws; it is an identical screw/bolt
    -- 4b) Pull the cam; it sits loose, so comes outs easily with a finger.
    5) Remove the Wear Plate.
    -- 5a) It lays against a flange or ridge machined in the cavity base.
    -- 5b) The plate is "loose", after the Cam is pulled.
    -- 5c) Any small "pick" will pull it, as it will almost fall out.
    -- 5d) 1/16" thick all points measured old plate, so really no "wear" as such, but did have grooves worn.
    6) I pulled/check dimensions from the pump body face, where the Cover Plate/Gasket sits, down to the machined ridge in the cavity base.
    -- 6a) Seemed to be uniform depth all around
    7) Installed the new Wear Plate; It has a small notch on the OD, so the orientation is easy to set, per the notch
    -- 7a) Cummins/Onan Genuine Parts package "0131-0158". WEAR PLATE - WATER PUMP".
    8) Again checked depths around from body face to where the new wear plate sat.
    -- 8a) Confusing readings did not seem uniform
    -- b) I decided to again use my adapter sheet, which I installed below;
    8) Installed the "cam" in the cavity,
    -- 8a) Push Cam to sit faced up to/against the Wear Plate; check that plate notch is sitting correctly
    -- 8b) Cam was a little scummy, where it sits in cavity, so I scraped it off a little; will use find grit paper next time
    -- 8b) Cam sits loose on bottom of cavity, so shift until aligns with screw hole
    -- 8c) Installed screw, set to 15-17 "#'s
    9) Re-Installed the impeller
    -- 9a) Since I remembered to bring it, I used my impeller lube instead of Dawn Detergent
    -- 9b) Impeller lube is "Magic Lube", #630 by Alladin a PTFE based lube/sealant
    -- 9c) I sourced Magic Lube, at a swimming pool outlet, as they use it for all their pump work and recommended it
    -- 9d) Coated the cavity and impeller with the lube
    -- 9e) Installed the impeller
    10) Installed my adapter sheet/plate (1/32")
    10a) Temp installed the Cover Plate/Gasket with one screw and swung it to hold the adapter in place
    11) Finished installing the Cover Plate/Gasket, setting to 15-17"#'s
    -- 11a) Did not want to torque up, so set low at 15" #'s; maybe got some lube on the screw threads
    12) Topped off the coolant Reservoir
    13) Checked oil- is right up
    -- 13a) This GenSet was bench rebuilt, by the best man in Chicago, before I bought the boat in 1995

Went through the start cycle and started immediately and spit Water quickly with good flow. Exercised GenSet with loads, about 4.0Kw, and no issues. Seems to not smoke as much under load, so hoping am getting better flow than before.

Next year I will do better checking of dimensions with a better micrometer. I may buy a new Cover Plate, as this one had a little wear. I will clean up all surfaces with some Crocus Cloth and try without my adapter plate.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 09-30-2017 at 12:25 AM.

I got busy yesterday too and tackled problem! So I put in new wear plate and cam. Did not solve the problem, still no self prime and no exhaust water. I then put in new impeller, new cover plate, and new gasket. Water starting flowing quickly and steadily. Tried 3 different times yesterday and pump did not loose prime. Not sure what exact cause was. Note I did replace all these parts about 5 or so years ago when I completely rebuilt pump and only put 50 hours on it during that time with no issues. I replaced impeller few times since then, including this year and it did not solve this problem. For cost of semi-complete rebuild (wear plate, cam, impeller, cover plate, cover plate gasket, looking at about $150) perhaps best to simply replace everything if experiencing this problem and hope for best. Note I did replace raw water intake hose, checked all other raw water hoses and exhaust elbow, remove heat exchanger and flush it to make sure restrictions were not in there. All were clear - problem definitely somewhere in pump. Now for that dam voltage regulator.....

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    I got busy yesterday too and tackled problem! So I put in new wear plate and cam. Did not solve the problem, still no self prime and no exhaust water. I then put in new impeller, new cover plate, and new gasket. Water starting flowing quickly and steadily. Tried 3 different times yesterday and pump did not loose prime. Not sure what exact cause was. Note I did replace all these parts about 5 or so years ago when I completely rebuilt pump and only put 50 hours on it during that time with no issues. I replaced impeller few times since then, including this year and it did not solve this problem. For cost of semi-complete rebuild (wear plate, cam, impeller, cover plate, cover plate gasket, looking at about $150) perhaps best to simply replace everything if experiencing this problem and hope for best. Note I did replace raw water intake hose, checked all other raw water hoses and exhaust elbow, remove heat exchanger and flush it to make sure restrictions were not in there. All were clear - problem definitely somewhere in pump. Now for that dam voltage regulator.....
    Thanks for the note. I can see me replacing the Cover Plate next. I am beginning to think these raw water pumps are well dialed in, so that slight wear causes loss of suction. I will hold off on the cam, as total parts cost, not including the impeller could stay below $50. The impellers are the high expense item. I bought a couple of special run-dry impellers from Amazon, but they are a tight fit on the shaft, so I need to hone out the shaft hole and "fit" them. I am hoping they may be more durable.

The Onan impellers seem fragile, compared to say, the Jabsco Toilets impellers, which have a very long life. I do not even pull the Toilet impellers between seasons, and they hold up well!

Quote Originally Posted by t109a60 View Post
    Excellent, and timely, discussion on Onan raw water pumps. I have a diesel MDJE 7.5KW.
    I too am experiencing new low flow/loss of prime issues. I have checked the obvious things
    (impeller, strainer, belt tension, back-flush lines) to no avail.

Question for the forum: How common is it to have these pump parts 'wear out' (wear plate, cam)?
    My boat is approaching 40 years of age. I have owned for 9 years and up to now regular impeller
    replacement has sufficed. I do not know the prior maintenance history of this pump.
    Ended up replacing my wear plate, cam, and impeller. Problem solved. Wish I knew exactly which
    part did the trick as none had any visible issues.
    Ken C.
    Comfort Zone
    1978 42' Bertram FBMY
    Sandusky, Ohio