Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The importance of ER checks.

I like to do hourly ER checks when running. Today we headed out and all was well after my pre- flight check. I start my engines and generators from the ER so I can check things over before I head out. After an hour or so I checked the ER and all was well. An hour or so later, we decided to shut down and drift a bit. I went in the ER and found some water under the starboard engine. I fired up the engine and found the gasket on the pipe for the trans cooler was leaking badly. It obviously just started as all was dry prior to this. Brought the boat back up to 1950 and water was pouring out. I was able to slow the leak with some self amalgamating tape to get back to our slip without issue. If I hadn't noticed it when I did, the engine bed would have filled up and salt water would have sprayed all over the ER.
    Jack Sardina

Re: The importance of ER checks.

Even with cameras the physical checks make sense.

When I was on my seamester we had hourly bilge checks and 2 people teams for on deck duties.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Cameras only show so much
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I check every 1/2 hour. I've seen what a half hour of oil spay can do to an engine room.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Agree 100%. Never know when something is going to give out.

On the cameras, it seems like everybody always puts them viewing the top of the engines, but would it be better to put the camera viewing the engine sump area? At least you would be able to see fluid water/oil/coolant...etc in the sump. At that point doesn't really matter where it's coming from, you just need to know that it needs attention.

Maybe sensors in the sump, maybe some type of fluid sensor or level indicator installed in the sump would be a good first indicator?

Checks are cheap insurance. What was the tape used? "Rescue Tape"?
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Maybe sensors in the sump, maybe some type of fluid sensor or level indicator installed in the sump would be a good first indicator?
    You've got them, called temperature gauges (engine and gear) and, as a last resort, bilge pump indicator light when the engine bay is overtopped. That gauge was my notice a hose clamp failed and 9 gallons of DD's best was sloshing around. In the alternative, I guess you could put a float switch in the bays and tie into your high water alarm.

As for cameras, Murphy states that as soon as you take the camera off the top of the motor the ceiling will probably fall in. Besides, a sump mounted camera might miss one undeniable law of physics: smoke (and steam) rises. There's no doubt cameras are nice. But I wonder if I might skip that walk around if everything looks good on the screen? I'm basically a lazy individual.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You've got them, called temperature gauges (engine and gear) and, as a last resort, bilge pump indicator light when the engine bay is overtopped. That gauge was my notice a hose clamp failed and 9 gallons of DD's best was sloshing around. In the alternative, I guess you could put a float switch in the bays and tie into your high water alarm.

As for cameras, Murphy states that as soon as you take the camera off the top of the motor the ceiling will probably fall in. Besides, a sump mounted camera might miss one undeniable law of physics: smoke (and steam) rises. There's no doubt cameras are nice. But I wonder if I might skip that walk around if everything looks good on the screen? I'm basically a lazy individual.
    Yeah, good point on the cameras, I guess one mounted under, one on top is the best.

For the liquid level in the sump, I was thinking something that would alert even sooner than a float switch. Something like this:
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/3397

I don't think any of this (cameras, sensors...etc) replace er checks, but rather make monitoring the er more frequently a possibility.

9. Re: The importance of ER checks.

I couldn't agree more that Cameras don't catch things. I installed three in our engine room and I have not caught a single issue with them. Fuel and water leaks just don't show up well!

Two ideas on cameras: 1) they are cheap now, and many ethernet...so add a BUNCH. 2) Many are movable with remote control, so put in a place and even program a movement routine to scan.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381