Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    tomrealest Guest

Radar Arches and Dripless Shafts

My old Furuno is on it's last leg and I will probably replace it. It's located forward of the bridge on the roof of the salon.
    I'm considering adding a arch so that I can see the images behind me. The boat travels to Florida on the ICW from the Chesapeake Bay, so I do have a concern about height. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I have become too envious of the dry bilges of some other Hatteras's I been on with dripless shafts. I would interested in hearing suggestions or comments about different brands.

jkp1 Guest

Arches

I just went through the same exercise. I have a 42C with a soft top and the an ancient Furuno array located just forward the flybridge on a small platform.

I had an aluminum arch custom fabricated with mounts for flood lights and 2 gold rod holders. Looks nice. You will lose about 2.5' of bridge clearance due to the white nav/anchor light which must clear your new radar.

Cost was $2500 installed. If I had it to do over, I would have purchased from Atlantic Towers at the New York Boat Show. They were offering the arch, 2 floods and 2 rod holders for $1450. (Shipping & installation extra) What I really liked with Atlantic was the option to have the Aluminum powder coated which would look even nicer and improve corrosion resistance.

mikep Guest

arches

I can vouch for the atlantic radar arches. I bought one last year at the NY boat show. The installation was only $150 and they did a great job. Looks good/works good.

Note: the installation price does NOT include any wiring or installing of components on the arch - just the physical installation of the arch on your boat.

PascalG Guest

dripless shaft seals

I had PSS on my previous boat,a maxum 37, for 5 years / 550 hours, with no problem.

However, when I asked the surveyor how he felt about them, his opinion was that they are great until they fail.. then it's usually pretty serious...

fwiw...

pascal
    miami, fl
    70 53MY

jim rosenthal Guest

PSS seals

So far so good on mine. My only concern is that the water feed hose seems like it would be easily broken off along with the plastic spigot that the water goes through, but they seem okay to date. They do seem to stay dry as well.

wshelton Guest

radar arch

I will go along with the positvie comments with Atlantic Towers. I got one made for a 43' DC. Perfect fit with little adjustment---was a days work to install. $1650 delivered.

dshuman Guest

radar arch

Get a hinged radar arch so you can let it down for lower bridges if necessary. If you ever want to do the Great Circle Route, you have to get it under 19 ft.

Elixirtoo Guest

Re: radar arch

The dripless shaft seals will be hard to repair out island so if thats where you are headed, maybe the old packing style which are wet but simple to service and bulletproof might be best.