Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Input on influx of water

'88 55 convertible. Now I understand it's a boat and it lives in the water BUT I have areas of the bilge that are taking on water by unknown source. The small compartment starboard engine room where fire suppression cylinder and AC strainer are. Bilge float switch in there just quite and in a 12 hour period it took on 30g of water setting off high water alarm. Extracted the water with manual pump operation and see no source visible. Is it "normal" to get water in the bilge? I wouldn't think so....thoughts?

Re: Input on influx of water

Holy S**t Batman!!!!! No, No, No. You have a nice leak going somewhere. Likely areas to check first, A/C cooling pumps and entire A/C system, rudders and shaft packing's. If nothing substantial there you need to check all the thru hulls. Could well be a broken hose. Others will chime in with other thoughts.

Was she plugged into dockside water at the time. If so, make sure to check your fresh water system throughout the boat.

Check if its salt water or fresh water, that will help narrow it down if the source is not obvious. I concur with the holy s*** concept. Think anuerism potention on a swelling hose as a possibility.

Additionally, if I read this correctly and your bilge pump or switch does not work in a place getting 30 gallons of stray water then getting that working needs to be a mission critical priority.
    George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 07-15-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I've got a 55c so I know your boat. Could be head strainers up forward leaking back to ER sump. That's one that might elude you. Good advice on ac strainer and pump. Rudder post comes to mind. Pm me if you want to talk it over. Bilge can and should be dry.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I've got a 55c so I know your boat. Could be head strainers up forward leaking back to ER sump. That's one that might elude you. Good advice on ac strainer and pump. Rudder post comes to mind. Pm me if you want to talk it over. Bilge can and should be dry.
    Not sure if the 1988 55C's were still 32V. On occasion I will knock one of my bilge switch's to off on the bridge. First time that happened I spent a lot f time troubleshooting a non problem.My bilge always has fresh water in it. Salon AC units drip into the engine room bilges.

1980 55C

Holy cow! Get a new float switch!! (Buy 2, carry a spare). Then check all the stuff already mentioned. I assume you're at the dock with AC running, so I'd look at that thru hull/strainer/hose first.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Further info....starboard rudder post is leaking minimally ( only when turning starboard). I've given it a good 2.5 turns but don't see much difference ( unsure how much I can tighten those before I do more harm then good), it does not leak when moored and that water goes to the aft bilge pump that cuts on every hour/half for about 4-5 sec's. On a side note can that stuffing box be serviced in water or is it a definite haul out job? I've seen shaft boxes done in water, just unsure of rudders. I have gone into every hatch I can find and see no source, both head strainer compartments are dry, compartment to head pumps dry, fresh water in/Out hoses not leaking. If it helps the water is coming in from the 1" drain tube in the bottom of the compartment, I just can't visualize anything ahead of that that's leaking

Rudder posts can be done in water no sweat. You sure it's draining to aft center bilge and not running forward? Salon ac draining to bilge?? Put the end of that hose in a bucket and you'll be shocked how much water will accumulate in an hour this time of year. If you cut your pump off or you've a bad float this may be most of the problem. Either way, tie you ac condensate lines into a discharge overboard line. This is an accident waiting to happen.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Rudder posts can be done in water no sweat. You sure it's draining to aft center bilge and not running forward? Salon ac draining to bilge?? Put the end of that hose in a bucket and you'll be shocked how much water will accumulate in an hour this time of year. If you cut your pump off or you've a bad float this may be most of the problem. Either way, tie you ac condensate lines into a discharge overboard line. This is an accident waiting to happen.
    Well put Robert. AC this time of the year put out a lot of water. Putting them all together into one line is what i did also. I also insulated all the coper lines going to the evaporators. That alone took a lot of water out of the bilge. May eaven improved the cooling. My water showed up in the hot summer.