Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Input on influx of water

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    My rudders didn't leak until they were rotated. Then they would stop after sitting a while. I tighten up the packing as snug as I could it and then stopped the leaking while turning steering at the dock. But underway, water still gets blown past the packing.

I'm hauling this winter and will change out the rudder packing then.
    After repacking a year ago, I'm bone dry at the dock and weeping underway--about a quart accumulates per 6-8 hours underway. I think that's a good state given you're supposed to let them weep for lubrication. Used whatever 1/2" packing West had on the shelf at the time.

Tim, good luck this weekend.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Input on influx of water

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Get your self a pair of calipers. Mike the rutter shaft and the hole it comes out of. I would not be afraid to say there is a lot of play there. I do not know the numbers but i will bet that Scott does. I had to take mine out and weld on the shaft and turn down. Cheaper than new ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    That may be the source, but not necessarily the reason. I had the same experience as you.... I could stop the leak by tightening the rudder gland, but it would start to leak after some operation. It turned out the cutlass bearings were shot. SAMS has them. After swapping them, no more rudder leakage. Have a diver push on the rudders. If they move, you probably need bearings.

Bobk
    My rudders do have play. That was my plan this winter...drop them and inspect and repair/replace what is needed.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381