Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Input on influx of water

Like others have said...check the AC system. I had a leaking distribution manifold. It also collected in the well in the generator room for the CO2 tank.

Great minds and all. I just added insulation to my copper.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

30 gallons in 12 hours seems like a lot for condensate.

Bobk

I am still searching fellas, I did determine its salt water, I know for sure it's coming forward of that compartment, I have looked in EVERY hatch I can find and see nothing. I'm nose deep in the manual working super hard to resolve this, can't thank everyone enough for the feedback. On a side note I'd like to throw an apology to the forum for the less than admirable beginning to my posting here

Food coloring is a useful tool.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I little salt water from other sources plus years of salt residue might fool you into glossing over fresh water source. The 55C has two evaps in the salon both, apparently, draining in bilge. Depending on temp, thermostat setting and humidity, a gallon an hour from each can be produced. I found it out when one of my lines clogged and I put one drain in a two gallon bucket while I went to hardware store. This boat is putting out double. I've got a 5,000btu window unit in a shop draining into a 5 gal bucket that needs emptying daily. Get the condensate overboard and then reevaluate.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

New finding but not likely my source. Engine room sump area was overflowing water, accessed it to find bilge pump sitting out of its mounting strainer and a screw keeping it from pumping. Removed the screw, returned it to the mount and extracted the water As the water level got low I noted a pencil size hole peeing salt water from starboard side of the sump, two minutes and it reduced to a trickle. Still no source for the initial problem

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I little salt water from other sources plus years of salt residue might fool you into glossing over fresh water source. The 55C has two evaps in the salon both, apparently, draining in bilge. Depending on temp, thermostat setting and humidity, a gallon an hour from each can be produced. I found it out when one of my lines clogged and I put one drain in a two gallon bucket while I went to hardware store. This boat is putting out double. I've got a 5,000btu window unit in a shop draining into a 5 gal bucket that needs emptying daily. Get the condensate overboard and then reevaluate.
    Robert, if I'm reading the manual correctly the evap under my dinette and the master stateroom drain into that center sump, the salon (fwd flybridge) drains aft starboard motor, fwd stateroom drains into fwd sump. I don't see that any units drain into the suspect compartment.

Ok. Good luck with this. I'd still tee condensate drains into bilge pump drains past check valves and be done with that water when you get the chance.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Ok. Good luck with this. I'd still tee condensate drains into bilge pump drains past check valves and be done with that water when you get the chance.
    Capt Robert
    My 52 has a squar box about 6in x 6in right in the middle of the floor all the way forward. That is where there is a bilge pump that has a float tied to it. It is cut on and off by a circuit braker in the engine room marked condiation sump pump.
    does your boat have the same. It pumps overboard going in front of the engine. The hose rubed the front of the big pully and caused about 50 % of the water to be pumped back in the bilge. The port bilge pump kept flashing on and that was the cause.