Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solar Panels?

Re: Solar Panels?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I think Pascal's example was with one 100 watt panel obviously with 4 panels things are much better. The other advantage to the solar is your voltage stays up all day and you almost never approach a critical voltage level. We have to run our generator for cooking so that is when we charge. Once a day is plenty. John
    I hadn't even considered going to Home Depot, it is great that you get that kind of performance. Some of the marine grade flexible panels are about 10X the price you paid. Do you mind if I ask how where you mounted them? Thanks again...
    Jerry
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    So...as it turned out, those expensive solar panels served as a backup only in the case of a fried battery charger and/or the generator having a problem. Both of which happened!

On our 43' DCFB with much bigger engines than our catamaran, a predominance of 120 volt appliances, our generator and motoring to get anywhere, I do not see a value here for solar panels.
    Thanks jrbrein, I like the redundancy factor too. Right now the inverter bank is only getting charge from the inverter/charger. I considered adding a 24V alternator to one of the main engines (or a 32-12/24 step-down converter as I did for the 12V electronics bank), but we're hoping to spend some extended quality time on the hook (in the same places you did!). Sounds like they came through for you when the charger fried and generator hiccupped. I don't have a back-up generator either.

Then there is the convenience / flexibility factor in addition to the redundancy. We really only need the genny when we are cooking, running AC, making (or heating) water or of course, charging batteries. I'm still thinking it might be a nice addition. Again, not looking at it from a pure ROI perspective but don't want to over$spend on something without reasonable value-add either...
    Appreciate your perspective on this.
    Jerry
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Don't even consider that the last 10% charging or a lead acid battery is extremely inefficient and becomes less than 10% efficient so the solar is usually not sufficient to maintain the battery bank properly and either the batteries will die young or you'll be running the generator.
    Thanks Scott - interesting, that sounds like perhaps the most significant reason not to go with solar that I've heard yet. ...and I would imagine that is especially true if conditions aren't perfect (sun directly above panels, no clouds, etc). So while on solar the batteries never get topped off?
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I'd not say never but the efficiency of lead acid batteries charging goes well below 10% for the last 10 or 15% of the charge and if not fully charged will allow the plates to be clogged with sulphate.

That's why solar companies sell the LiFePo batteries.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Sorry for any confusion. I was talking about ridged panels. I agree with the comment on flexible panels, from what I have seen there output is not as good as ridged. We have ours mounted on the aft rail around the fly bridge. They fold down when not in use. Main problem is if you use a Bimini on the fly bridge due to shading. We keep our Bimini folded up so as not to shade panels. Better would be to mount on a rack above Bimini which I am considering. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I'd not say never but the efficiency of lead acid batteries charging goes well below 10% for the last 10 or 15% of the charge and if not fully charged will allow the plates to be clogged with sulphate.

That's why solar companies sell the LiFePo batteries.
    I ended up with 2 Lifeline GPL-8DA's in parallel. I think they were about $600 each. Are the LiFePo batteries comparable in price?

Scott, I really wish you were closer to SW FL.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL