Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engine Room Circuit Breaker Box

Hi All,

I am in the process of collecting my main 12V large wires in the Port engine room, and I need to have a box to house around 5-8 circuit breakers.

I have seen in newer boats (maybe 80's) circuit breaker boxes in the engine rooms. What kind of material are those boxes made of? What do you all recommend for the material of the box? Should I go with outdoor rated circuit breaker box from the home depot? (knowing that I am only housing 12 volts and nothing 120v) The ones they have there are only metallic rated for outdoors.

Or should I build one from my Garage's starboard or PVC sheets?

Thanks
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Re: Engine Room Circuit Breaker Box

Most electrical fires on boats are DC related. Proceed with caution and with ABYC standards in mind. AVOID bringing anything from Home Depot aboard your boat.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Trust me I know the rules and I follow them very well. The question I have is what material Hatterass used for the boxes in the engine room?
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

4. Re: Engine Room Circuit Breaker Box

Quote Originally Posted by Gusshr View Post
    Trust me I know the rules and I follow them very well. The question I have is what material Hatterass used for the boxes in the engine room?
    I'm pretty sure ours are all painted steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusshr View Post
    It does not matter what hatteras used. It was 30 or 40 years ago and standards have changed.

You need a new abyc approved or uscg approved panel and enclosure.

Home cheepo will not have it.

Worst morons will not recognize it if it falls off the shelf and hits them in the head.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

6. Re: Engine Room Circuit Breaker Box

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    It does not matter what hatteras used. It was 30 or 40 years ago and standards have changed.

You need a new abyc approved or uscg approved panel and enclosure.

Home cheepo will not have it.

Worst morons will not recognize it if it falls off the shelf and hits them in the head.
    Agreed. I would look at the Blue Sea Surface mount panel system. Its all in one and ready for labels. We redid our old Broward with the Blue Sea stuff and it seemed to be high quality and reliable stuff.

Agree on the Blue Seas stuff. I don't think Marinco is still around they may be part of Newmar now, but they would make up custom panels for you at very reasonable prices, you might see if Newmar still does that. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Marinco and blue seas are sister companies. They both are part of bep or whatever the parent company is called.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    It does not matter what hatteras used. It was 30 or 40 years ago and standards have changed.You need a new abyc approved or uscg approved panel and enclosure. Home cheepo will not have it.Worst morons will not recognize it if it falls off the shelf and hits them in the head.
    Scott, could you please elaborate on your last line? What does this has to do with electricicals?
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

It means the majority of their employees could not distinguish between an electric coffee pot and a GPS.

Asking them for guidance is asking for trouble.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.