Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do stablizers cause/create air around props in a following sea.

Has anyone experienced prop cavitation/ventilation in a following sea? I have a 43' double cabin
    and didn't notice the issue when running into the sea(5-7') only on our return trip in following seas (3-5').

Re: Do stablizers cause/create air around props in a following sea.

Do the math. Stabilizers are forward of the props.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Never experienced that, Gyro-gale (4 fins).
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I guess it depends on the boat and conditions incl how much the fins move. On the boat I run (84' Lazzara) sometimes yes you hear a slight rumble when the fins fully deflects which I assume is some disruption of the flow into the wheels.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

A lot of Stabilizers cause cavitiation. I Rather roll than have the props suck air and cause the whole boat to shake.

I had the same boat with stabilizers. They should be off in a following sea. Otherwise never did experience cavitation.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I've never felt any cavatation underway.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

On a 48 LRC with 4 fin Gyro-Gales, in certain following sea conditions, I can hear a slight rumble now and then if I stand in the salon just over the shaft between struts. This is a very quiet environment where office level speech works fine.

Might ask how I ever noticed it. The Admiral is constantly on alert for any new sounds and heard it while in the gallery underway, the galley sharing open space with the salon. Great support from the Admiral.

Pete

I have made several ocean crossings to Europe on fairly large ships as a young man and on one trip we had enormous seas and the ship would shutter with each passing wave. Probably cavitation.

Walt

10. Re: Do stablizers cause/create air around props in a following sea.

In following seas the stabilizers will be working harder and it is fairly common to have them occasionally channel some air along the botom of the hull that will cause the props to ventilate a bit. It won't hurt anything though. Running downswell is when you really appreciate how much they add to your comfort.