Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starboard side Raycor always needs topping up before staring

MY Raycor on the Stbd side always need to be topped up before I run the engine.

I have checked the seals and nothing seems to help. I am thinking of going to a larger micron filter next.

Anyone with any ideas?

Re: Starboard side Raycor always needs topping up before staring

The fuel is either leaking out somewhere or being siphoned back into the tank. Tell us more. How long has it been going on, and has there been any recent work performed.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Racors are fabulous air traps. It could be the Racors itself or it could be anywhere from the tank to the Racors. Clear tubing is an excellent temporary fuel hose for isolating air leaks.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Did you replace the check ball and seal in the racor and if so is it installed correctly?
    Capt. Andy1980 43 DC

Had same problem, rebuilt Racors, no help, then I started turning off fuel tank valves after every run, that did it, have now installed check valves in fuel lines near Racors as backup. Hatteras boats with keel fuel tanks are more prone to this than boats with wing tanks outboard of engines at about the same level as the engines. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

All I have done is changed the filters. Had my Detroit guy look over the fuel hoses and no signs of any leaks. He did sau next time we need to start looking at the Racor filter itself. I was hoping to help narrow down some options to work on.

May have to do what Scarlett suggested and close off the filters to see if that helps.

Had similar problems a few years ago. My issue turned out to be a fuel line leak on the suction side before the RACOR filter. Never had fuel leakage anywhere because the hole was so small, but it sucked in air when the engine was turned over. In the end, I replaced all the suction side copper fuel lines with USCG approved flexible lines that a local shop made for me. Once I had the fuel lines in hand, the installation was a piece of cake.

Depending on how old your Racor is, you may be getting the wrong T-handle Oring with the new filter. The older Racors use a square section Oring. What's supplied now is a smaller diameter round section Oring. I only know this because I happen to have a few unused older gasket sets to compare to what comes with the new filters.

Quote Originally Posted by DCMY #92 View Post
    Depending on how old your Racor is, you may be getting the wrong T-handle Oring with the new filter. The older Racors use a square section Oring. What's supplied now is a smaller diameter round section Oring. I only know this because I happen to have a few unused older gasket sets to compare to what comes with the new filters.
    Great call. I had read about that but had totally forgotten about it.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

To temporarily seal the leak I installed 2 of the current Orings on the T-handle. I later replaced it with a fatter round section Oring.