Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Man's 10 Cylinder 1050HP?

Looking a switching boats found one with Man's but I have no experience with MAN's. Anybody have any experience with them? Rebuilt cost? Reliability parts etc

Re: Man's 10 Cylinder 1050HP?

Word is maintenance and parts are expensive.

That being said it's all relative.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Word is maintenance and parts are expensive.

That being said it's all relative.
    A few friends have them. Reliable but CRAZY expensive to maintain. One friends Man needed a new water pump, housing and all....5k, another got a quote to have his heat exchangers cleaned. 10k. Another bought a new to him Sea Ray 560 Sedan Bridge...maiden voyage, sensors shut an engine down...Man guys came in, from out of town, fixed it, no big issues, 18k....

Call a local MAN dealer and get a quote for routine services like 1000hrs and then compare with a Cat dealer for equivalent hp.

Make sure you sit down first
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have 8 cylinder 800 hp mechanicals. They have been reliable and have good HP to weight but as stated they have been expensive to maintain. There are repair alternatives (such as on the heat exchangers) that are not as expensive but a certified MAN mechanic will hand you hefty repair bills. I don't know about the 1050 10 cyl mechanicals in other boats but they were an option for my Cabo 47 and they had problems with smoking. Apparently they did not get the turbo/loading/fuel balance worked out.

Get a quote on the 2 year service, thats the one. Also, make sure that a mechanic takes off the heat exchanger end caps and inspects the orings and metal condition. If this is not in order its about $30K (again there are alternatives but a MAN mechanic probably will not offer them to you).
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 07-09-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

In terms of how much they cost per mile versus (for example) CAT 3412s or C18s or C32s.... MANs are not the best deal.

I have also heard that the scheduled services are very thorough and that if you do them as expected the engines are very reliable. But the cost is staggering.

I think I'd look for a boat with different engines.

Years ago they were referred to as Mangranades because they were considered highly stressed and would give the boat owner a major shock and concussion every time they were worked on by a Mann mechanic.

Walt

Thanks for the insite. All I have had in the the past are 8v92tta and have had issues getting parts like exhaust manifolds etc so I'm hoping to stay out of Detroit's. I would like to find a 52c or 55c already repowered with cats but haven't had much luck.

Depending on your budget you might be able to find a later 50 or 54 with Cats from the factory. some had 3406Es, or C18s, I think, and some had 3412s or C30s? They are supposed to be very good boats and very reliable engines.

Quote Originally Posted by ocburger View Post
    Looking a switching boats found one with Man's but I have no experience with MAN's. Anybody have any experience with them? Rebuilt cost? Reliability parts etc
    The M in MAN stands for Money$$$$$$$$$$.