Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fiberglass hull shaving for weight reduction?

I seem to remember an article many years ago (20) about someone who would shave older
    Hatteras hulls (and other hulls I am guessing) in order to reduce weight because of their
    overbuilding. The thickness of the hulls being far thicker/heavier than hulls today? It may have been an article in "Soundings" or some other magazine. I thought the shop that did the work was in the Carolinas? Does anybody remember that article?
    Does anybody remember if it was worth the expense?

Re: Fiberglass hull shaving for weight reduction?

Just buy an ocean.

I can't see any savings as half the weight is the structure that you can't get rid of.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

It puts one in mind of breast reduction surgery... Why would anyone want to go and do something like that?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

All that extra hull thickness is just extra hull thickness until you hit some log in the water. After that, it's the reason you're still alive.

These boats were built very sturdily, but that doesn't mean there's laminate to spare in the hull bottom. And you'd have to remove a LOT of it to make the boat lighter. Of course, while making her lighter, you'd also get weaker and less stiff at no extra charge.

I think it's a terrible idea. I don't recall seeing any such article in SOUNDINGS or anywhere else, honestly, and I've read them for decades.

If a boat owner want their boat to go faster, they should install larger engines etc. That will take care of all that extra money around your house, in short order. Not to mention how much she'll drink when she's souped up and can pass anything but a fuel dock.

I've heard of peeling the bottom to open, remove blisters. Many get the skin-out matt off and don't ever replace with any more glass because its so thick anyway. But, I've never heard of peeling it to reduce weight.

How about just gutting the cabin top/bridge and making an open?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

If you want to see through the hull buy a Bayliner.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Shape is more important than weight.

Look at the 41c series 1 and series 2.

One will require almost 2x the power to cruise on plane.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Shaving for weight reduction is what the poseurs do. The real weight savers drill holes throughout the whole hull. LOTS OF THEM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Shaving for weight reduction is what the poseurs do. The real weight savers drill holes throughout the whole hull. LOTS OF THEM.
    Like on racing brake rotors right.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Kind of reminds me of an article in a now defunct NE boating magazine about 20 years or more ago about a "scientist" called LOO FLIRPA who did extensive research on "Holy Props" and concluded that by drilling a series of holes in the blades of the propellers at strategic locations reduced drag so much that the boat picked up a lot of extra speed. Some idiots actually did it and threatened to sue the magazine when it was realized that it was the April issue and Loo Flirpa is April fool backwardsl Sadly the magazine went out of business.

Now I don't know if this hull shaving is for real, but I would think that anyone doing that sort of thing to a Hatteras has a bunch of screws loose.

Walt