Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Anchor Sizing for 52 Hat Sport Deck Motor Yacht

Don't know if this warrants a separate post but since we're talking about anchors how about the quantity and location of anchors carried onboard?

I was astounded to find that our Hatt has ONE anchor onboard! My Chris Craft has three including a 60 lb Delta (approximate) at the bow, a second Danforh mounted in chocks on the foredeck and another Danfroth at the stern stored underneath our aft settee.

I want to replace the Danforth on the Hatt with a Delta as it has worked pretty well for me on Lake St. Clair. Was thinking to put the Danforth in chocks on the foredeck like I did on the Chris but where? I've seen some that are mounted just in front of the forward hatch.

Also I'd like to have a third anchor somewhere at the stern, but same problem. Where? On the 53ED there's really no place aft to put one unless I want to mount it on the swim platform which is not very desirable.

I've always thought that you'd have to have a minimum of two anchors, but the boat was delivered with only one originally and it's passed several surveys where they make no mention of ground tackle other than to record what's actually there.

Just seems odd.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

I like having a back up anchor in case something happens to the primary. Three I think is an overkill. Or maybe a big disassembled fortress of cruising far from civilization

What I really don’t understand is “lunch hook”. Same time and work to set so you may as well have a big anchor so your lunch doesn’t get cold

Stern anchors could be useful in light condition to anchor in a tight cove but not sure it s worth the effort
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Agree with Pascal, no such thing as a lunch hook as long as you have a powered windlass. We do a lot of raft ups and find a need for a stern anchor. A fortress or a smaller Danforth type works great. Or primary is a big Bruce but we keep the OEM big Danforth as a back up stored in the generator room. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Hey John it's Pat. We'll be over your way on labor day weekend practicing dropping the hook. I'll let you know and we can catch a beer. I still think the CQR is too small but Kelly thinks it isn't a problem yet... ugh. would love to get your thoughts.

Pat