Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Anchor Sizing for 52 Hat Sport Deck Motor Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Depends where you are and what bottom you re anchoring in

As good all around anchor I love the Bruce / Claw. I ve used them from Cape Cod to the Exumas for the past 10 years. The 110 pounder may be an over kill on a 52 but that's what I about to put on my 53MY

Claws have held me in 60kts squal line in Martha s vineyard, Carolina mud, Cape feat and in a 75 kts derecho on the Exumas.

And they re half the price of other anchors...

I ll take weight over pretty stainless steel anchors anyway . When I got on the 84 lazzara I ve been running for almost a year, first thing i did was remove of the two pretty shiny 88 CQRs and put a 176 lbs Bruce. Over 100 sets in the last year and I sleep well at night (with an anchor alarm on my iPad which has never triggered)
    I also a 110 claw, with great results. And gave been in some serious blows.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    We had 5/16 chain and a 40lb sand anchor when purchased. Far too light. Boat weights 50 tonnes.

It now has equivalent metric of 3/8 chain and 100lb CQR. The Galley Maid windlass has no issues, but had to change the gypsy.

Boat does not move in 20knot wind , but may drag a little if its a lightly packed sandy bottom at a day anchorage.

Hope this helps.

I called Galley Maid about the windless and what chain it works with. According to them, Hatteras had Galley Maid make a special wildcat for the chain they installed on new boats. The boat currently has 3/8 chain on it but i cannot tell the grade. I have a piece of grade 43 that I'm going to see for sizing it. I hoping that the gypsy was changed from original or its' more accommodating to some variation. They want an arm and leg for a new wildcat. They were very helpful on the phone.
    Regards,

Dr. T

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    I called Galley Maid about the windless and what chain it works with. According to them, Hatteras had Galley Maid make a special wildcat for the chain they installed on new boats. The boat currently has 3/8 chain on it but i cannot tell the grade. I have a piece of grade 43 that I'm going to see for sizing it. I hoping that the gypsy was changed from original or its' more accommodating to some variation. They want an arm and leg for a new wildcat. They were very helpful on the phone.
    I changed my OEM gypsy and sold the old one very quickly at a fair price. Helps mitigate the sticker shock.

Bobk

Thanks for the input all. I went with the Vulcan 40kg (88 pound) with 100 ft. of 3/8" chain (backed with 250 feet of 3/4" nylon rode). Just came back from a week at anchor in upper Lake Huron (Government Island). Both sets took on the first time in 23ft of water. Using a Manus bridle which is about 30 ft long reduces the depth to 10 or 15ft effectively. When weather changed mid-week we moved to a more protected end of the bay for two days of round the clock wind gusting to 30kts and only dragged about 80 feet after boat got turned around 180 degrees on the anchor on day 2. It must have pulled and quickly reset in the night (my anchor alarm didn't go off). Overall I'm pretty happy with the anchor. It is big and hard to manage in the roller given the size of the shackles required to connect it (it's quite thick where you connect the shackle to the chain.)
    Regards,

Dr. T

Update on this thread:

Over the winter of 2017, I replaced all the rode with 250ft of 3/8 BBB chain. In the process the original Galley maid gypsy had to be replaced with a new one to match the BBB. The "special" gypsy Hatteras had originally made would eventually bind on the chain so I had no alternatives. Very expensive proposition in the end but at least it all works as it should now. Just came back from several days on the hook and all worked perfectly.

The Vulcan is a very effective anchor. It stuck and fast as well. I was anchoring in clay mud - zero weeds.
    Regards,

Dr. T

Most will think it crazy, but my OEM Hatteras Danforth (still painted Hatteras white) has served us well. I have 200ft of 3/8HT chain and I think that is more important than the type of anchor. We have used it all over the lakes, in mud, sand, clay, and even weeds. Oh do I hate the weeds. There have been time when we have raised what looked like the "swamp thing" and had to get into the dinghy and pull them off by hand.

Over the last 15 years of anchoring in all sorts of conditions and even rafted up to another 60 footer, we have held. I often toy with the idea of getting another anchor, but this one allows me to sleep without getting up ever few hours to check on it. I trust it and I just can't bring myself to make a change.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Agree with SkyCheney. I have a similar 52, to the Sport Deck, but have an enclosed bridge. Our Hatt came with a 60# CQR w/all chain rode. In 10 years of anchoring out in Florida, Tortuga's, and the Bahamas, we have (thankfully) only drug once due to self infliction. We stopped for lunch, I shorted the scope (lazy on my part), the tide flooded in and we drug about 50' before I could get the engines started, which ended lunch. Go good with the scope ( WD+bow height, normal 7x, sever x10) and it pays dividends with peace of mind.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

I have a 54 Viking Sport Yacht and it had a fortress on there and it dragged (hell of a storm in Cape Lookout) and I changed to a 110lb Bruce and have had no problems since but I don’t anchor often due to the fact that we have 2 dogs that need to go out. Also I need to get over my anchoring phobia.

The fortress has jncrsivlw holding power in sand and mud but it doesn’t reset well in tidal situation or when the wind shifts in my experience th Bruce/claw has 80 to 90% of the holding power but resets

Problem with the FX is that it get clogged by mid and grass andnhas to be brought up, cleared and reset
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

This year we upgraded from the 60# CQR to a 73# Vulcan as we anchor out a lot in the Bahamas. The Vulcan is impressive, sets instantly and re-sets without fail on tide shifts. Sleep on the hook is much improved and I bought it reasonable on amazon of all places, go figure.
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c