Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anchor Sizing for 52 Hat Sport Deck Motor Yacht

I have currently a 60 CQR Anchor on my 52 Hat. 3/8" chain. I think this is too light for the weight of the boat and high wind profile. I am seriously considering purchasing a Vulcan 40kg (88 LB) anchor to serve as the main anchor. The Vulcan does not have the roll bar. Anchors with roll bars will not stow in the roller. Would appreciate any thoughts of Hat owners out there who have experience anchoring heavy boats. I recently moved up from a Sea Ray to the Hatteras which is significantly heavier than the Ray.

Thank you,
    Regards,

Dr. T

Re: Anchor Sizing for 52 Hat Sport Deck Motor Yacht

Dr T
    I just replaces our 60 lb CQR with a Spade https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/produ...e-s-steel-s200. Fit exactly on our 48 LRC.
    Curt

I've got an Ultra 77 lb polished SS on 1/2" chain--it came with the boat. But I'm no help. Someone told me how much it cost and I've been scared to send it over the side ever since. I heard it holds well.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Depends where you are and what bottom you re anchoring in

As good all around anchor I love the Bruce / Claw. I ve used them from Cape Cod to the Exumas for the past 10 years. The 110 pounder may be an over kill on a 52 but that's what I about to put on my 53MY

Claws have held me in 60kts squal line in Martha s vineyard, Carolina mud, Cape feat and in a 75 kts derecho on the Exumas.

And they re half the price of other anchors...

I ll take weight over pretty stainless steel anchors anyway . When I got on the 84 lazzara I ve been running for almost a year, first thing i did was remove of the two pretty shiny 88 CQRs and put a 176 lbs Bruce. Over 100 sets in the last year and I sleep well at night (with an anchor alarm on my iPad which has never triggered)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I've got an Ultra 77 lb polished SS on 1/2" chain--it came with the boat. But I'm no help. Someone told me how much it cost and I've been scared to send it over the side ever since. I heard it holds well.
    Now THAT is funny. Best quote of the day.

Thanks for the input. Someone inquired on the conditions for anchoring I expect. Great Lakes cruising with typical bottoms that range from sand to mud to clay. Weeds in shallow areas can be a problem. Objective to anchor in 25ft or less water (including free-board of boat).

Key take away's so far.....

a) If it's an expensive and pretty anchor, don't deploy it and stay tied to a dock. Wax it occasionally.

b) Go big or stay home.

Any other thoughts.....

Regards,

Dr. T

Fortress anchors are good in sand and mud- I don't know how well they dig into clay. Here in the Chesapeake they work well.

We had 5/16 chain and a 40lb sand anchor when purchased. Far too light. Boat weights 50 tonnes.

It now has equivalent metric of 3/8 chain and 100lb CQR. The Galley Maid windlass has no issues, but had to change the gypsy.

Boat does not move in 20knot wind , but may drag a little if its a lightly packed sandy bottom at a day anchorage.

Hope this helps.

Fortress and danforth don't do well in ween and don't reset well on a wind shift. Delta don't hold well in soft mud but dig better in hard clay and grass

They key besides size is scope... I've seen people failing to set and blaming their anchor while using only 3-1
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Everyone has their favorite anchor. Mine is the SuperMax. I have a ~75 pounder on the Chateau de Mer (48MY) and have had no issues. BUT, it is hard to get a set in weeds. It is a very popular anchor among the trawler group who anchor a lot as I do. I have a big Danforth if I need it for weeds.... and also always set a drag alarm. I carry 200' of 3/8" HT chain plus some three strand if needed. This rig will set at 2/1 in the typical ICW anchorage, and holds very well at 5/1 scope. If storms are possible, I increase the scope to 7-10 to one.

The standard Hatteras platform needs a slight modification to accommodate the SuperMax, but is very simple to do and completely reversible if need be.

Bobk