Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Blower replacement for older Cruisair units??

I can't comment directly fan replacement, but I did have to replace an evaporator on an older
    CruiseAir system. The new unit came with a squirrel cage blower and a cleanable air filter element.
    Vastly superior. Probably moves 3X the air.

It made the undesired cost of the evaporator replacement somewhat tolerable. At least I got an
    upgrade along with it
    Ken C.
    Comfort Zone
    1978 42' Bertram FBMY
    Sandusky, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by risctaker View Post
    I've searched this forum for hours now on trying to find a replacement old style fan for my cruisair splt systems. At one time I thought Dayton (grainger) made a shaded pole direct replacement but I cannot find it on their site. Given the fact that these older fans did not move much air to begin with, has any member upgraded by installing a squirrel cage blower to the original evaporator housing in the split systems? I'm not ready to totally replace the entire R22 split systems because they cool just fine but I have this one fan issue... Anyone?? Thanks Steve
    Danny Martin / Martin Marine in Wilmington NC has been doing this stuff for a long time he is the cruse air dealer for SC NC And maybe Va

telephone #
    910 799 9362 Office / and moble

If the secretary answers ask to speak to Danny the secretary has some knowledge but Danny is king

Thanks for all the great input guys. I can't use the Fasco blower unit cause it's 230VAC and I need 110 - 120vac (unless Fasco has a similar unit in that voltage). I'm trying to avoid an evaporator replacement so will keep looking. Thanks for the Danny Martin contact. Will phone today.
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com

What does the attachment for the blower housing look like and what are the bolt hole spacings?

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Hey. Just got off the phone with Danny. He wasn't able to help but I never laughed so hard in my life - what a funny guy!! Thanks for the entertainment break!
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com

Hi George,

This old square evaporator has four equally spaced threaded mounting holes that are approx. 7-5/8" OC. The metal fan guard has the matching mounting "Loops" that then screw into the evaporator .
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com

Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Thanks George. The specs claim "Not recommended for speed control". Can you share with me how you mounted this to the existing square evaporator shell and how you wired it in? For instance, in general, the old fans we had as OEM equip were "blow through" designs while the Fasco (and equivalent) blowers are "draw through" devices so I would be interested in how you adapted a centrifugal blower to that evap shell. Would be grateful. Thanks Steve.
    Last edited by risctaker; 06-29-2017 at 09:48 AM.
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com

Steve

I know, the fan control PSC/shaded pole issues swirls round and round. I think that part of the confusion results from the fact that there is more than one type of speed control ex: variable voltage vs variable frequency and the ability to speed control relates to starting torque (small blowers are relatively low starting load). I have the SMXII Cruisair controls and I used the shaded pole motor extracted from the first 230V link that I posted, I didn't use the shell. Aslo I have a squirrel cage set up already as apposed to your five blade fan variety. What controls do you have on your system? Also do you know if your current motor is shaded pole? I am pretty sure that there is only one shaded pole at least for the purpose of this discussion so if you verify the present motor style then you should be good.

Make sure that the amp draw is similar for your new motor as well.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

Thanks, George. There is a picture of my current fan on the first page of this thread. To summarize, I am using the original manual 3-knob Cruisair setup with the manual twist-knob speed control (rheostat). The original fan pictures on the 1st page was OEM on the boat in 1976 and was manufactured by RMR. It is 115VAC, shaded pole single speed, 1100 rpm. Unsure of the amps as the label is unreadable at that part, but it is a fractional hp motor. If possible, it would be a definite benefit if I could adapt the centrifugal blower to my existing evaporator by purchasing a mounting adaptor of some type (Ref: https://citimarinestore.com/en/parts...unt-rings.html)
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com