Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

32v to 24v starter on detroit 8v71

I have converted from 32V ro 24V on my 58 tricabin and now have to change out my starters to 24v (although the 32v has been working up til now)
    I called Delco who recommended the new 50MT but it's diameter is too large. Has anyone been in this situation and what is my solution short of having the existing one rewound.

Re: 32v to 24v starter on detroit 8v71

Try taking a look at the Delco 40MT, 24 volt.
    Still a very popular starter. Especially in 24 volt.
    Diesel Pro as well as others have them in stock (left and right rotation).
    They are even on eBay.
    You will need to confirm how many teeth on the pinion gear (probable 11 or 12).
    Both the 50MT and the 40MT are SAE#3 mount with a clock-able nose piece.
    Of course you will need a left hand and a right hand rotation unit.

I am kind of surprised that the 50MT will not fit.

Not really viable to re-wind but you could buy 24 volt field coils, 24 volt armatures and 24 volt solenoids. Way to much work.....

Tim
    79 53' MY

Thanks Tim,
    I spoke with Delco Remy who advised that 40mt, which is what I have only in 32V, is obsolete and recommened the 50MT but the diameter is so large it would be right against the block needed a few more mm. I am dissappointed as it had some good features.
    Diesel Pro suggested a 42MT which seems to have the same dimensions but they didnt have the ccw. I have a call into Delco to get their take on the 42. Any thoughts on the 42MT

I Appreciate your input.
    David

Hi David,
    I have the specifications for both the 50MT and the 42MT starters in front of me.
    The 42MT is 12 MM smaller in diameter, 22 MM shorter and about 21lbs lighter than the 50MT.
    The 42MT is available in all of the needed configurations to bolt up to the 871 engines and in 24 volts.

This starter is also very readily available on the new and used markets.

Tim