Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. KVH M7 Experiences?

I have a potential source for a KVH M7 satellite dish here locally.

I have heard some negative things about the M7 and satellite switching and have heard that a lot of folks have switched the the HD7.

Does anyone have any experiences good or bad they can share with this dish?

Re: KVH M7 Experiences?

The m7 is no longer available and 10 year old technology.

Why spend the time to install an out of date system?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

3. Re: KVH M7 Experiences?

Cost mostly. The TV6 seems like a great unit, but is not super cheap.

I installed my M7 about 2 1/2 years ago fter buying it for what I beleive was a great price: $2,200 including the SWM and cables. I don't recall the installation cost but I did need a small pedastal and a 12 volt transformer (my preference to not run off the ship's service directly).

I knew it would not get HD with Direct TV.

Overall, my present issues notwithstanding, I have been very happy with the unit. Shortly after installing it, we were in the Bahamas for an extended cruise (6 months) and got excellent reception as far south as Georgetown in the Exumas with the exception of Network coverage being spotty at night.

For the M7:
    Pros: Good price and good reception range.

Cons: will be obsolete in (my estimate) 3-5 years as both Direct and Dish go to Ka band.

For HD7:
    Pro: brand new equipment. Great reception range (more a function of the dish ssize that the specific unit)

Con: Price for dual band units will run about 12 grand.

This said, I'm sure you hve been reading the other threads about issues myself and others have been having with "Legacy" units. My work around is awkward but I'm okay with it versus the PITA to resolve the problem. Seems everyone I talk to has an opinion that spends my money without any quarantees of success...

good morning we used to have an old KVH M2 that worked ok but would not hold the signal if we were moving or rocking in the wind we wanted to replace with the KVH HD7 but the price was just to much so we went to the Ft. Lauderdalle Boat Show and purchased an INTELLIAN s6HD for around $6300 and a $500 rebate it came with everything needed to install it ...it is truly great unit and holds the signal even in somewhat rough time the HD is great and best of all its about $5000 to $6000 less then KVH HD7
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

Once at anchor or slip I could turn my old m5 unit off so the motor wasn't constantly running to track satellites and still receive a signal. This meant I could record future shows on my Dvr. One thing I dislike and for which I was not aware is the inability to do so with my new m5. It needs to be supplied with power to send the signal to the receiver which means it is always actively tracking. Not sure if that would have affected my decision to purchase this unit but certainly worth noting.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Throw the TV away and read more. Your brain will thank you.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

8. Re: KVH M7 Experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Throw the TV away and read more. Your brain will thank you.

Hahaha! Love it! It's honestly more about the kids onboard and other guests.

Our Hatt 58 had the M7 when we bought her a year and a half ago. We had many frustrating challenges with DTV and switched to DISH, which has been a huge improvement. it is important to know when your M7 was made. The pre-2009 units are not upgradeable to the RF7 board. Ours was made circa 2011 so we upgraded to RF7 and get all 3 DISH satellites and pretty much everything we watch in HD. Also installed 2 Terabyte HDD on back of DISH receiver and get good DVR. Love fast forwarding through commercials.

Here is KVH Tech bulletin last year. If you check your serial # against these you can find out if you already have Rf7, or if you can upgrade:

Date: February 4, 2016
    Subject: DISH Network Satellites Changing to 8PSK Modulation
    Products Affected TracVision® C3, 4, 6, G4, G6, G8, M1DX, M3DX, M5, M7, and M9
    Problem Description DISH Network® is in the process of converting most of its satellite signals from QPSK modulation to a more efficient 8PSK format. This upgrade will allow DISH Network to provide additional content and more highdefinition programming, improving the customer experience. However, like many other technological advances today, the new format is not backward compatible with older receiver or antenna equipment. Therefore, some older TracVision antenna models may need to be upgraded or replaced to continue receiving the full line-up of DISH Network’s programming.

IMPORTANT! KVH’s latest generation of TracVision products (HD11, TV1, TV3, TV5, TV6, and TV8) are fully compatible with 8PSK format. TracVision M5, M7, and M9 Systems Built After 2008 These antennas must have an RF7 board installed to decode 8PSK signals. Customers who have an antenna equipped with an RF7 board will just need to update its tracking parameters whenever DISH Network makes a change. KVH started building antennas with the RF7 board in October 2013. However, M5, M7, and M9 antennas built from January 2009 through October 2013 can be upgraded in the field (see upgrade kits below) if the customer chooses to continue receiving DISH Network programming. Switching to DIRECTV service is another option. TracVision Model RF7 Installed at Factory Serial Numbers Suitable for RF7 Upgrade Serial Numbers RF7 Board Upgrade Kit Part No. M5 131000890 and later 0901xxxx – 131000889 72-0599-02 M7 131000307 and later 0901xxxx – 131000306 72-0599-03 M9 131000141 and later 0901xxxx – 131000140 72-0599-01
    TracVision M5, M7, and M9 Systems Built Before 2009 Antennas built prior to 2009 (serial numbers earlier than 090100001) cannot decode 8PSK signals and cannot be upgraded with an RF7 board. Therefore, they will not be able to track DISH Network’s 61.5°W or 129°W satellites when DISH Network upgrades to 8PSK. However, they may still track 110°W and 119°W on alternate transponders (refer to Technical Bulletin 15_T_MAR_LND_3, dated December 11, 2015, for details). To receive programming on DISH Network’s 61.5°W or 129°W satellite, customers may choose to replace their older antenna with a new model that can decode 8PSK signals. KVH is currently running a cash back promotion for TracVision customers who upgrade to a new TV3 or TV5 system. Please see the KVH Partner Portal for details (under Sales Support > Promotions and Offers). Switching to DIRECTV service is another option.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

10. Re: KVH M7 Experiences?

Well against some better advice I purchased a used M7 dish. It is an august 2013 model and is in like new condition, but doesn't have the RF7 board as it was made two months before they started installing them by default. I want to use Dish so I plan on picking up the RF7 board and the Master Receiver selector to allow me to have auto sat switching at least in the Salon. The upside was that I got the Antenna, all new cables, the MCP etc. for $1100 which was just hard to pass up.

@Nautibake, How much did you pay for the RF7 board? I have been trying to get pricing from KVH but they are slow to respond.