Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    GCombos Guest

Single lever controls

OK, I just hopped of a buddy's redone 42 Bertram & found a new entry that goes right to the top of my "must have" list: Single lever controls.
    Although his are electric and came with his new Volvo power, I know there are other electric & cable types to replace my OEM dual Morse controls. While I'm doing the refurb, this ought to go a long way in providing a new boat feel to a 29 yr old vessel.
    Would appreciate anyone commenting on the pro's/con's of this mod.
    From my prospective, this pushes boat-handling through the sound-barrier to a new dimension, at least for me anyway.

Genesis Guest

Single lever....

... be aware that while this idea looks good, if you're going to electric units and they fail.....

When I was looking for my boat I happened to be in the yard when a 42 Bert came in for survey. The boat had Mathers electric single-lever controls. He selected reverse. It did not shift. He then gave it a bit of throttle (thinking it WAS in reverse, to check his forward motion), and proceeded to ram the forward bulkhead of the travelift "pocket"!

The crunch was heard throughout the yard and there were many slack jaws.....

GCombos Guest

single lever...

I have given that scenario some thought, Genesis. Ironic how the addition of s/l elect. controls to provide superior close-quarter handling, may end up creating a total loss of control. The other thing I noticed on the boat/ the elec. controls, the lack of cable resistance made them almost too smooth. After a long day on the ocean or a few too many adult beverages, someone could accidentally skip the little detent and wind up in the crunch zone...
    My preference would be to use cable controls unless the electric controls are less costly..something I doubt. Did some more research and it seems the Panish system is widely accepted as the best on sport fish applications.
    Does anyone have any experience with them? Also, I see that Morse has a two-in-one single lever control. That might be the easiest conversion.

jim rosenthal Guest

single lever mechanical controls

I would use Panish controls, I mentioned in an earlier post how happy I was with their customer service. They are a small outfit and try very hard to be flexible and rapid in their turnaround for everything needed. They also make their own cables- they own a cable company.
    Panish is located in Connecticut, I think centrally.
    You might talk to Rob Panish and see what he thinks about this. Is your boat two stations or one? I have the impression that single-lever controls work better for one-station boats, but I am not sure.
    Rybovich, Davis, Merritt etc use Panish controls. They are very well made and mine are a joy to use. Much better than Morse or Tflex and ironically were a little less money, but I used standard dual-lever controls.

Genesis Guest

Panish.....

... are the bomb.

I've driven one boat that had them on it. They were an absolute joy to use.

If I was going single-lever, that'd be what I'd be looking at.

Frankly, I LIKE the stock setup. I know some people don't, but I do, and I'm quite used to it. This despite the fact that on my small boat (twin outboards) I have "single lever" (traditional outboard) controls, so I switch back and forth all the time. No troubles.

Banshee36 Guest

controls

Jim,
    I looked into the single lever controls from panish ans was floored by the price. Do you have any contact info, i would like to replace my Morse with panish. Are they all Stainless aor aluminum?
    Let me know if you get a chaNCE.
    JW

krazy8 Guest

single lever

I am using the "Solo" Control by R.G. Rollins Company
    I installed them on my 36 hatt and absolutely love them .

garyd Guest

single lever controls

I have DDEC single lever controls. I moved them together when I redid the helm. When I back the boat into a slip or maneuver around the docks I only use one hand. It controls the boat very easily and you actually develope much better touch over the manual shifters. I wasn't sold at first but now it's like air conditioning or a generator it is a must have.

I would position them to gether as it allows you to use the wheel more, which can really make it fun to dock.

garyd

GCombos Guest

SLControls

I sent in a e-request for quote to Panish; I'll report what I find. I was concerned they might be pricey.

Krazy 8, do you have any contact info for RG Rollins ? Also, I've seen photo's of your boat & I'd do admire the teak helm/electronics pod you have. Did you DIY? I have the same basic ride & am trying to get the height of my new top down to minimize the "phone booth" look it originally had. That means no overhead electronics box if possible. Do you have any additional pic's of your helm/controls?

Many thanks.
    Gregg

Krazy8 Guest

Single lever controls

R G Rollin Co
    3419 S Chapel Ave
    Tacoma ,Washington, 98444
    1 206 588 9978
    1 206 588 4799

Helm I did myself , I have more pics and information and can fax info and e mail pics , just send me your e mail and would be glad to exchange info.

krazy836hatt@aol.com