Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Sentry 32 volt charger problem

Be careful considering the Analytic Systems device. This is really a dual battery bank isolator made to be used with an alternator not intended for use with a battery charger. Talk directly with the manufacture first.

Tim
    1979 53' MY

1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by KPTIM View Post
    Be careful considering the Analytic Systems device. This is really a dual battery bank isolator made to be used with an alternator not intended for use with a battery charger. Talk directly with the manufacture first.

Tim
    1979 53' MY
    Hi David,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your charger questions. We have a couple of options in regard to 3-bank charging:

1. We can supply a charger with 3-bank charging option installed (no need to add an automatic charging relay). Attached data sheets for our 600W, 1000W and 1500W chargers that can accommodate this built-in option. Our 300W model BCA310 Series is capable of 3-bank output by default.
    2. We can also supply a battery isolator (see IBIseries Datasheet for info.), which is the same as an “automatic charging relay”, however, our IBI Series Battery Isolators are very efficient with extremely low voltage drop. They can handle from 200A to 380A depending on the model choice. These are designed to be used with an alternator, but can be used to convert a single bank battery charger to a 2 or 3 bank charger.

If you let me know where you’re located I can point you in the direction of our nearest authorized Distributor for pricing and purchase.

Best Regards,
    Bruce Jones
    NA Sales Manager | Analytic Systems
    t. 778.724.4658 tf. 800.668.3884 ext 203 f. 604.946.9983
    website | vcard | email

ASWlogo

David,

I deal with a lot of Hatteras owners since we’re one of the only manufacturers that will make 32V chargers, and we’re known for our high quality rugged designs (made here in our facility). Here’s the IBI pricing for 2017:

Part Number
    Description
    Input Volts
    Output Amps Continuous
    US$
    IBI1-40-200
    200A, 40V Single Bank Ideal Battery Isolator
    10 - 40 VDC
    $151
    IBI1-40-280
    280A, 40V Single Bank Ideal Battery Isolator
    10 - 40 VDC
    $192
    IBI1-40-340
    340A, 40V Single Bank Ideal Battery Isolator
    10 - 40 VDC
    $233
    IBI2-40-200
    200A, 40V 2 Bank Ideal Battery Isolator
    10 - 40 VDC
    $192
    IBI2H-40-280
    280A, 40V 2 Bank Ideal Battery Isolator, High Output
    10 - 40 VDC
    $233
    IBI3-40-200
    200A, 40V 3 Bank Ideal Battery Isolator
    10 - 40 VDC
    $233

Please contact one of our authorized distributors to purchase:

CED Marine
    (321)639-7128
    Rockledge, FL 32955
    Rich Lasby
    sales@cedmarine.com

Galco Industrial
    (248)336-4533 / (855) 388-9492 ext 4533
    Madison Heights, MI 48071
    Theresa Ryterski
    TRyterski@Galco.com

Best Regards,
    Bruce Jones
    NA Sales Manager | Analytic Systems
    t. 778.724.4658 tf. 800.668.3884 ext 203 f. 604.946.9983
    website | vcard | email

ASWlogo
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Isolating battery banks is not the same as separate charger banks. No matter what an isolator does it will not be the same.

Most Alternators are made to keep battery banks charged not to recharge batteries in place of a charger.

I'm sure many will do what they want anyway but I just wanted to put the facts out there.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by KPTIM View Post

Tim
    1979 53' MY
    I've had an Analytic charger on my boat since 2004. It works great. 2 bank charger, 240v input, and it has an equalization mode. My batteries are 10 years old and still going strong, both banks. Talk is cheap. I have the real world results.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 05-04-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I'd replace it. Get a smart charger and forget those old heavy beasts. I can't imagine not being able to run an equalization on my batteries. Its extends the life by years.

http://www.invertersupply.com/index....FQUpaQodqbMMoA
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post

Echo....ECHO..............lol
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Looks like a very nice unit! Reading about it/reading Sky's post, it looks to me like the battery charger equivalent of the Outback Inverter - THE component to have for the particular function on an old Hatt!
    Last edited by MikeP; 05-05-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

This added after some additional reading - I didn't realize that the links supplied are for two different chargers - I would assume that the 1000W would be the minimum one for a boat with similar systems to a 53MY with a 1500 or thereabouts being preferred. But I could be wrong... Sky?

The above is based upon the rating of the old LaMarche and that of the Outback 3232. I have never done any real research on the actual wattage required to maintain the batts/run the systems. Obviously, a very low wattage charger can charge/maintain batteries, but in would take a lot longer to recharge after a night on the hook and there would be little/no available extra current to operate DC items while charging. FWIW, the Outback specs show it can supply 1440W of charging power; the LaMarche was around that same range as I recall though when I replaced the LaMarche, I found that the OB could recharge the batts in less than 1/2 the time. But maybe the LaM was getting clapped out after 25 years...
    Last edited by MikeP; 05-05-2017 at 02:12 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    This added after some additional reading - I didn't realize that the links supplied are for two different chargers - I would assume that the 1000W would be the minimum one for a boat with similar systems to a 53MY with a 1500 or thereabouts being preferred. But I could be wrong... Sky?

The above is based upon the rating of the old LaMarche and that of the Outback 3232. I have never done any real research on the actual wattage required to maintain the batts/run the systems. Obviously, a very low wattage charger can charge/maintain batteries, but in would take a lot longer to recharge after a night on the hook and there would be little/no available extra current to operate DC items while charging. FWIW, the Outback specs show it can supply 1440W of charging power; the LaMarche was around that same range as I recall though when I replaced the LaMarche, I found that the OB could recharge the batts in less than 1/2 the time. But maybe the LaM was getting clapped out after 25 years...
    Mike,
    I have the 1000 and I use it most of the time. When we anchor out, I use the Outback because it charges much faster than the Analytic and I want minimum generator run time. At the dock, I don't care, so I use the Analytic.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

They make a 600 watt charger too.

http://www.invertersupply.com/index....oducts_id=3992

300 to 600 watts ought to be plenty for maintenance at the dock if you have an Outback for charging a depleted inverter bank. I have replaced all of my DC bulbs with LEDs so there is little draw on the charger on shore power.