Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Sentry 32 volt charger problem

I use a 60 amp 12 volt charger on my 41c.

That's 720 watts for a small vessel in comparison.

I put dual 60 amp chargers on a 55 Viking earlier this year. That was for house systems only. The start banks are separate 24 volt banks.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Isolating battery banks is not the same as separate charger banks. No matter what an isolator does it will not be the same.

Most Alternators are made to keep battery banks charged not to recharge batteries in place of a charger.
    Of course we need a charger, but my alternators are 60 amp at 32 V, over 1800 W each.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Following on from my original post, I took the cover off the old Sentry charger.

Every wire was blackened or hardened through age, every connection was corroded. Battery cable studs were corroded. All components were covered in thick black soot. A future fire hazard in the extreme.

So it will be retired ASAP.

Thank you for all the posts.

I have now ordered the Analytic BCA1000 32 volt charger with ammeter.

In researching, Newmar now offers a $ value 32 volt charger but only a 110 volt version.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 05-16-2017 at 09:00 PM.

How much did it cost?

The new Analytic 32 Volt Battery Charger arrived and has been installed. Total cost about US$1250 including FEDEX airfreight and taxes to Sydney.

I've included photos of the inside of the old Sentry charger. When I looked closely at all the connections, they were either corroded, black with soot or the wiring insulation was falling off.

The Analytic 32 volt took 3 factory weeks and I opted for the multi frequency multi voltage option with dual bank digital voltage/amps read outs for both banks. Its a nice piece of kit. I will put a 12 volt computer fan across the outside of the relatively large heat sink.

Easy to install and the factory were nice people to deal with.
    Attached Images