Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aft deck hatch removal

We owners of early 53s have been cursed with an emergency hatch on the aft deck instead of having two large hatches on the transom. Mine has been leaking, corroding, flaking for years and I finally got to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore ...

Ripped it out, cut the top skin an extra 3" to 4" around, removed the core which surprisingly was in pretty decent shape.

Cut a piece of 1" divinicel, glasses a layer of biaxial underneath, glued it in place with thickened epoxy, epoxy another layer on top followed by another one extending 3" on to the top skin of the deck, previously ground to glass.

Not bad in one afternoon! Tomorrow I ll fair it and till a coat of white epoxy. Later on I have to strip the old paint and cracking fairing on the test of deck but for now... no leaks and no tripping!

Eventually I ll cut out the portholes and install three hatches for emergency exit.
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Aft deck hatch removal

More pics
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Can I have your old hatch? Mine has lost one of its upright supports. Yours looks like the same make so it might fit.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Fanfare; 04-28-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Lucky you. The marina takes out the trash in the morning I pulled it out of the trash can.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

One mans trash is another mans treasure.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Pascal, Nice job and I agree that it's a great idea. Make sure you install large enough port lites on the stern to be able to fit through easily in an emergency. About 15 years ago I lost a life long friend in a boat fire because he couldn't get through the escape hatch. And give it a high priority...we need you to keep posting for a long time to come...

Walt

Thanks, Pascal. Driving home now. Will PM you mid week. Appreciate your pulling the hatch out of the dumpster!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Aft deck hatch removal

I have some questions

1 This should work on a 1972 58 Tri-Cabin?
    2 Where are you getting the new stern hatches that are replacing the PORT lights?
    3 I also need to replace the FWD hatch cover any ideas?

Steven A.
    Sandra J.
    1972 58 Tri-Cabin
    12V71
    Pirates Treasure
    Pirates Key Florida

I have the same original hatch, I called SAM's for parts and was told they specifically cast for Hatteras and none available any longer, making them a real treasure for those in need of one. I added foam tape to ridge of existing hatch to stop leaks which as done the trick as original gasket kind of wonky, even after pulling it and turning 180 degrees (it has square cross section). Wanted to remove and fill in too but someone on this site (think it was Walter P then too!) posted it's used as escape hatch and decided to keep it. If I could figure out good secondary means of egress I would fill in like you have - very nice work!

Well that old hatch which I thought had been lost when Hurricane Irma ripped my dock box has surfaced today! Turned out my dock box had not sunk but had been pushed down the dock... I also retrieved 75’ of tinned 50amp shorepower cable which I needed and was also MIA

So if anyone needs that hatch it s available, free to be picked up in Miami. It will need to be sandblasted and painted.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat