Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Diesel/Hatteras Smell & Seagull Guano

Professional. Very pleased with the product.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Correct. Professional
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

That stuff is great. My thruhull fitting for the waste line is directly under the master bunk. To set the levers for overboard flush when I go offshore, I have to remove 2 drawers and pick up a pair of plywood pieces for access. Needless to say, any clothing in that drawer stinks after being there a day or so. Last weekend I pulled the drawers and the plywood covers and sprayed Odorgone liberally into the bilge around the fittings. I also gave the drawers a spray. This morning, I opened it up again and found zero smell in the drawers or in the bilge. I resprayed it anyway, but am very pleased with the initial results
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I think I need to ask for a commission on the added sales. LOL. Glad it worked as well for you as it did for me.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Toolsntoys View Post
    I thought I'd upload a pic. Don't mean to hijack the conversation but since we are talking about smells
    Pete looking at your pic it appears you drilled the hole in the forward bilge just fore of the waste tank am i correct?

thanks, mike

Mike the hole I drilled is in the aft bilge just behind the fuel tank and forward of the bilge pump. My theory is that there is a void between the fuel tanks and the keel that can fill up with water and cause a smell.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Really useful stuff. Anytime I open a bilge I spray a little around the area. It's remarkable how fresh things have begun the smell. A shot or two in the trash masher as needed works well also.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Just an add to this thread, if you have a smelly waste hose and don't have time to replace, put a cotton washcloth over it and liberally spray the Odorgone onto the cloth to drench it. It really works. I've still got other sources of odor on my new to me boat but that's no longer one of them. Tackling the bilges this weekend.

Thanks Seven!

John
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Like to know why this works.... anyone seen an MSDS?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I just ran out of the gallon of "OdorBan" I've been using on boat for past 2 years form advice I received on this site. Sounds similar, but every month or so have to reapply. I just ordered gallon of OdorGone and will see how that compares. It's main use has been stinky bilge water that accumulates in main state room that bilge pump can't fully expel, found adding cupful of OdorBan every few weeks solves that problem.