Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Diesel/Hatteras Smell & Seagull Guano

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The main source of odor is the amount of raw plywood we have in these boats, especially the flooring. I ve applied epoxy on a some of the sub floor ad it has cut the smell pretty dramatically. You obviously can't coat the underside of the sub flooring but coating the to side really helps.
    Totally agree with Pascal here. We have owned two 58YFs and both had the oh-so-special 'hatteras smell'.. the single most effective thing we did was pull up all the carpet/flooring and seal the plywood with epoxy. As Pascal notes in his experience as well, this virtually eliminated the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff58y View Post
    Totally agree with Pascal here. We have owned two 58YFs and both had the oh-so-special 'hatteras smell'.. the single most effective thing we did was pull up all the carpet/flooring and seal the plywood with epoxy. As Pascal notes in his experience as well, this virtually eliminated the problem.
    I will agree in part, but in my boat, the culprit was wet plywood under metal elbows in the exhaust and the mufflers. After cleaning and saturating with a thin epoxy, the Hatteras smell is gone. All the plywood soles are still just painted plywood.

Bobk

I used to have the Hatteras smell in my boat, but since I became anal about keeping the bilges dry, the smell is gone.
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Right there with you Gary. Dusty bilges.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    What a find. I'm glad everyone has had luck with this product. The carpet and ceramic tile that was covered with Diesel still smells fresh and new. Great product.
    I just ordered some for the fwd SR and V-berth. Couple of months ago I replaced the float switch in the fwd sump tank and found out the screws were not sealed. So there was a very slight drip into the bilge. That stuff smells as bad as poop. Everything else below decks seems to be fine, but I still have some faint odor in those forward areas so I will try the OdorGone. My boys are coming down from NJ next week with their girls, so I hope it works.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    I just ordered some for the fwd SR and V-berth. Couple of months ago I replaced the float switch in the fwd sump tank and found out the screws were not sealed. So there was a very slight drip into the bilge. That stuff smells as bad as poop. Everything else below decks seems to be fine, but I still have some faint odor in those forward areas so I will try the OdorGone. My boys are coming down from NJ next week with their girls, so I hope it works.
    It will.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Shoutout to Pascal. Found some raw plywood way up under in crawl space under side deck walkway that was a source of bad odor. The OdorGone killed the smell, but I know that's just a temporary reprieve. Going to seal it today after my first ever Yoga class. Think that will help me be more flexible?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Interesting thread. Are you guys using the household stuff of the professional?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I think we are. The jug I bought was for commercial use.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks. I meant to say "or", not "of", but I presume you mean you are using he Professional line.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau