Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Diesel/Hatteras Smell & Seagull Guano

Here's a great combination.

I wanted to update the thread started by Seven and add a little something. I sprayed OdorGone, recommended by Seven, throughout my boat. I returned to ASLAN yesterday after four days of being shut up tight. I was pleasantly surprised to have found no stuffiness or stale smells. The smell of the OdorGone product itself was also missing. For odor removal without the perfume, I recommend this product.

I read about Clorox Foamer on a trawler forum and decided to try it on sun-baked seagull crap. Regular detergents have not proven satisfactory even with lots of elbow grease. I sprayed this stuff on stains that had resisted hard scrubbing. After 5-10 minutes the crap rinsed away. Doesn't take much either.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Diesel/Hatteras Smell & Seagull Guano

Glad it also worked for you. I'm going to spray my head hoses next week per your recommendation.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

What concentration of Odergone do you 'spray around'. Any trick to get rid of some of the old boat smell? Thanks!

The main source of odor is the amount of raw plywood we have in these boats, especially the flooring. I ve applied epoxy on a some of the sub floor ad it has cut the smell pretty dramatically. You obviously can't coat the underside of the sub flooring but coating the to side really helps.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

When I was cleaning the aft bilge area this winter I noticed water kept seeping into the bilge space. From a crack in the fiber glass Apparently there is a space in the hull that runs under the fuel Tanks some how water got into that space so I drilled a two inch hole for better acces to pump the water out the water had the hatteras smell and bad. I'm convinced that is were the smell originates from. Now I have no hatt smell
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

I thought I'd upload a pic. Don't mean to hijack the conversation but since we are talking about smells
    Attached Images
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Quote Originally Posted by Toolsntoys View Post
    I thought I'd upload a pic. Don't mean to hijack the conversation but since we are talking about smells
    You would do well to coat the raw plywood with epoxy to help prevent rot from originating at the hole.

Bobk

Bobk I did. In fact I recoated the entire bilge with gel coat
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Quote Originally Posted by JonHupp View Post
    What concentration of Odergone do you 'spray around'. Any trick to get rid of some of the old boat smell? Thanks!
    Jon, I used it right out of the jug per instructions from the manufacturer when we spoke by phone. I could see where you could stretch it some by diluting. I also think diluting to spray onto carpeting or upholstery could give you a deeper penetration by heavier application. I wouldn't have a problem putting some in the mix in my carpet cleaning machine. I am well pleased the 'old boat smell' seems gone.

Also related to other posters, I sprayed the bottom of the flooring by pointing the spray wand up from about every conceivable angle through bilge access covers. I used one entire gallon on my boat; it's a big boat, and I do tend to go a little overboard on things like this. I renewed my holding tank vent filters last week; I'm going to take them apart again and spray OdorGone inside the hoses. Maybe that's a waste, but the hoses will always be dry (unless I overflow a tank) so I can't see how it can hurt. It may take a few days for the OdorGone product smell to go completely away, but it will. And, it is infinitely better than the alternative. Of course, as soon as you swear on a Bible you've got every nook and cranny, you figure out there'a always spaces you overlooked.

When I renewed my homemade charcoal filters. I accidentally knocked an end cap off into the water where it sank. I cleaned the remaining tube and end cap in hot soapy water and bleach and took it with me to the hardware store to get the right parts the first time. Even after all that, the folks in the Ace Hardware started looking around when I put it up on the counter. That's when I ordered some more OdorGone.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

What a find. I'm glad everyone has had luck with this product. The carpet and ceramic tile that was covered with Diesel still smells fresh and new. Great product.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California