Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

No exhaust water stbd engine

Fired up the 8v92ti's today. Both started, albiet with the crossover switch with little smoke. Port pumping out fine, starboard dry as a bone.

Replaced the impellors 6 months ago, have about 5 hours on them.

How would i go about diagnosing what is wrong?

Thx
    Mark

Re: No exhaust water stbd engine

First thing i d check would be the impeller Just pull the cover and check it out without removing it unless you see missing blades

Could be the strainer but I find it to be rarely the case

And make sure the intake hose isn't loose. Rare but you never know.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    Fired up the 8v92ti's today. Both started, albiet with the crossover switch with little smoke. Port pumping out fine, starboard dry as a bone.

Replaced the impellors 6 months ago, have about 5 hours on them.

How would i go about diagnosing what is wrong?

Thx
    Mark
    Kinda a go look suggestion....check the intake screen and valve, take the back cover off the raw water pump and look at the back of the impeller....checking for blades and splines, could be the intake under the boat.

Without being a smart@$$... Did you open the seacock?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Never closed it.

Where is the strainer on the exchanger?

I so need a boat buddie. I'd ask Randy but but he'd make me beg. How humiliating would that be....😨

After a raw water rebuild i found the P.O had his guys replace impeller and they neglected to look for the missing pieces of impeller vanes I found alot of the pieces blocking the passage to discharge. Found same issue in the raw water pump on generator.

Since it ran dry, pull the impeller. I think you have to pull it to make sure the vaned all spring back. If it looks good, grease it. With the impeller out, take a hose and backfill the line from the pump down to the intake. Maybe it just needs a little encouragement to catch prime. If that doesn't get it I'll bet you have a bag or some such trapped in the screen.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Check the intake. Even though there may be water in it there may be an obstruction prior to the impeller. However I've seen impellers go out with hours of install. You say you didn't close the seacock, you should have taken on tons of water with it open. Was that the case? If not go to my first comment. Good luck
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The zincs can corrode make a mess and block the heat exchanger if left sitting for awhile, or if the cover plate is heavily worn the pump will have a hard time priming, and of course check to see if water is even getting in the boat strainer obstructed, thru hull etc.
    Capt. Andy1980 43 DC

Check the wear plate behind impeller cam and cover for wear on some pumps you can turn cover over and use.
    Bob