Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

First And Last Boat... A Story Of Life, And Cancer

No, this isn't Hatteras related, but I think we can all relate to someone purchasing their first boat, and I dare say all of us have been touched by cancer, either directly or indirectly. With that, I thought I would share with you good people a little story I shared with Facebook friends and another forum. Sometimes you just never know where something as simple as selling a boat will lead you. I'm in the process of restoring my late brother's 18' Allison bass boat and had a 15' Allison I decided to sell to help finance that project. Here is what I posted with a follow up from earlier today...

Had a guy email me from Craigslist, and the email simply read, "Can I come look at your boat?". I figured it was spam, but I replied back, "Give me a call, and we'll set up a time."

A few hours later, he called. He asked no questions about the boat other than to ask when I could show it to him. We set a day and time, and when the car pulled up, there were two guys in it. They both got out, and the driver introduced himself as Jim, the guy on the phone. He then introduced me to Mike and said he was the one actually interested in the boat. I would guess Mike is around 70, and after looking at the boat a few minutes, he made the comment, "I've never owned a boat before." I laughed and told him we needed to fix that!

He kept commenting about how good a shape the boat was in and couldn't believe it was 37 years old. We talked some more, and he asked if I could toss in a couple of life jackets on the deal. I told him, no problem. He mentioned he would need to buy a cover for it, and I told him no problem again as I already had one for it. He pulled out an envelope and counted out the cash saying his wife had given him that money and for him to go out and buy a boat. He asked if he could come back and pick it up today, and I told him that would be fine. His buddy didn't know anything about boats either, so I went over everything I could think of to tell them. I was surprised he would take the boat without even running it, much less pay me in full with cash and not take it right then and there. He told me he trusted me, and I did show him video of me and Ryan running the boat last fall. I then told him, depending on when he planned to come back for it, I would go with him to run it to make sure he knew how everything worked. He said that would be good, but that it really wasn't necessary.

When I got home and finished dinner, I sent Jim a text and told him I would go back out to the boat this morning and put a charger on the batteries, just to make sure everything was ready to go. I asked him to give me a call when they were getting ready to leave, and I would do my best to be there. He thanked me and wrote this...

'I want you to know that Mike was recently diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer that has spread throughout his stomach and his liver. The doctor gave him six months to live. This boat has really cheered him up.'

I texted him back and told him that one way or the other, I would be there to make sure everything was still right with the boat and to make sure Mike was comfortable running it. I just hope the weather holds out, but if it doesn't, I told him I would get up with him when I get back from delivering a safe to Charleston, SC this weekend."

To pick up where that left off, I did get everything ready for that run on Friday and even gathered up a few things I thought Mike could use. Jim texted me that he and Mike would come down around four Friday which was going to work fine for me. A couple of hours later, just before 4PM, he texted again and said Mike told him to apologize to me as he didn't feel well enough to make the trip. I told him no apology necessary and that I would contact him when I got back. I ended up making a 21 hour day of yesterday and got home at 2:30 this morning. I texted Jim around 10 and told him we could run the boat this afternoon or tomorrow if Mike was up to it, but he has yet to reply.

I sure hope I'm able to see Mike with a big smile on his face that comes from running one's first boat for the first time, but I have to wonder. Could be I'll be handing back that cash to him or his soon to be widow. No way could I keep it and feel right about it if he's just not able to take it. I've made a lot of friends over the years through either buying or selling a boat, but this is the first time I've dealt with anything like this. Cancer sucks.

Followup today. Jim called me last Thursday and told me that Mike didn't feel up to making the trip down to run the boat, so we put it off until today...

Well, I met Jim and Mike (with Mike's cash in my pocket) a little after 4 and ran the boat. Mike was grinning from ear to ear the entire time, even though the wind had really picked up, and it was a bumpy ride. One thing is for sure, if he was comfortable in the boat today, he'll absolutely love it in smooth water.

I spent time going over everything I could think to go over with him and told him I was used to doing things like that with people who had never owned a boat before. He told me that boat had made him very happy, and he thanked me again for everything. He was talking about going crappie fishing tomorrow, and I told him if he found a good bunch, I expected at least some GPS coordinates. Didn't realize until today that he's a Marine veteran, and we dang near blew his hat off! I didn't take any photos, but Jim did of us coming back to the dock where he waited for us. I'll see if I can get him to share, but I won't post Mike's photo here unless it's after he passes. If he didn't want me to know about his condition, it's a pretty safe bet he wouldn't want me sharing it with the world. I learned a long time ago how small this world really is when it comes to the Internet.

I told Mike to call me if he had any questions at all, we all shook hands, and we went our separate ways after getting the boat hooked up to his truck. Jim thanked me again after Mike went around to the other side of his truck to get inside. I've bought and sold more boats than I can count off the top of my head, but no doubt I'll always remember this one.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: First And Last Boat... A Story Of Life, And Cancer

Touching.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Randy, you are funny as Hell and sometimes a real smart ass but sometimes your heart tells you what to do. Thank you from the bottom of my heart from a fellow veteran

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The bird tells the biggest stories, but also has the biggest heart.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I have always said, the Good Lord puts distressed people and animals in our path for assistance for a reason. It briefly stops us from looking at our selves. It is us who benefit more.

Thanks for sharing.

Have a good week,
    Tim

That is a sad story but, ultimately, a great story. It's a story that I (and likely most) have experienced too many times with good friends or family who are here today and gone tomorrow. When you are in a situation such as that and able to contribute to another's quality of life when the end is undeniably at hand, you take away immensely more personally than you could have ever contributed.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

That's a class act. Good man.
    Regards
    Dan

A wonderful story! Good on you.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)