Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. First oil change.....

Doing the first oil change on the 8v92 and Allison gear since buying the boat. I see there are different ideas on how much oil the engine and gear take. What say you?
    Bill Willetts - Wilmington NC
    Snap-on Tools Executive
    Steel Drum Musician
    https://www.facebook.com/jollymonjams/

Hatteras 56MY

Re: First oil change.....

I just had a very "interesting" experience with a new technician. Boat was just sold and new owner chose to have both engines and Allison m-20's serviced after purchase. I had to run the boat from New Bern to Jarrett bay to have some windows replaced by Broadus Rose @ Lookout boat window frames ( highly recommended ) and discovered after a short run that the tech had not properly tightened filter housings on the gears and we were losing all the gear oil into the "dry bilge" and consequently losing forward propulsion! The moral of the story is to make sure you know what you are doing as far as torque values and procedures as well as oil volumes.

Hoop
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

I have an 8V71TI and it took 8 gallons of oil in each motor. Have not changed the tranny yet.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

And don't buy a torque wrench from Harbor freight
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

My experience with twin 8V9Ns..

Engine: 20 litres or 5 US gallons saw the level to the low side of dipstick. Engine was at 8 degrees.

Alison Gearbox: 10 litres or 2.5 US gallons was on the low side of full. Then run engine and check with engine running. Top up from there in 1 litre or 0.25 US gallon amounts. Dont over fill. Fill new gearbox filter with oil when changing. I removed gearstick fitting and used 1/2" straight copper hose attached to pump to suck out and replace oil. Topped up from the oil filler. If you overfill you need to suck some oil out via dipstick.

It takes what it takes;i.e., look-upable in manuals or online. Be careful not to overfill if you're pumping in from bulk. For example, if you fill to top mark on dipstick, you will need to add oil once your filters fill up and you get pressure. But don't refill to top mark-wait. If you can't wait, go no higher than low mark or you could be way overfilling. Every series is different. My 1271ti's will pull about a gallon of oil to the top end and take nearly an hour to fully return to the pan unless they are near operating temp. The difference from the low and top marks on these motors is about a gallon. And of course gear manufacturers have differing procedures to verify oil levels.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Just for grins. Put in what you remove if you start with full crankcase.

Maybe hold back a quart or so but don't put in the capacity listed in bbq the manual. You don't get it all out.

Get the engines good and hot for a half hour or the oil may not flow. It takes hours to cool down so don't worry about that.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Years ago, Bell helmets used to have an ad: "If you have a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet"

Same applies to torque wrenches.

I'm thinking with your stated occupation you're probably all squared away with torque wrenches, but do you have a good oil transfer pump? In our small engine room I don't like to spend a lot of time in there with the engines at temp, so a sturdy transfer pump is a must for pumping 40w when cool. http://www.depcopump.com/catalogs/cu...11/Page-41.pdf

I usually put the new oil in the engine room before I run them up to temp. Easier to move warm oil.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.