Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

windshield replacement

has anyone replaced the fwd windshield glass in a motoryacht from the solex tint to a smoked tint? i did my aft windows and like the way it looks and the amount of light it lets in. just wondering about visibility at night and with spray and rain.. i have a cracked window and some clouding in the corners of the others so i am replacing them soon. just wanted some input

Re: windshield replacement

Bill, from my personal experience, I run my boat at night a lot! The visibility from the helm at night is somewhat poor especially if any light from a gps or galley lights or salon tv is on. I could imagine that the visibility is going to be worse with tinted/smoked windshield glass.
    my 2 cents only.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
    Bill, from my personal experience, I run my boat at night a lot! The visibility from the helm at night is somewhat poor especially if any light from a gps or galley lights or salon tv is on. I could imagine that the visibility is going to be worse with tinted/smoked windshield glass.my 2 cents only.
    I see the windows are dual pane windows. My fiberglass guy just cracked the front side window. And I need to replace it. Anyone knows what kind of glass is a comparable replacement? And where do you buy it from? Marine store? Or any glass store?

Solex is the way to go if you do any night running. It's available in laminated or tempered..

Walt

Solex PPG is available just about anywhere. My old glass guy from work cut mine and polished the edges while I watched..but 75 bucks as I recall. Used the tech tips here to reinstall and got the rubber extrusions from sams

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Solex PPG is available just about anywhere. My old glass guy from work cut mine and polished the edges while I watched..but 75 bucks as I recall. Used the tech tips here to reinstall and got the rubber extrusions from sams
    Would caulking (the thick one from westmarine) do it? Or do you have to have the rubber?

OOps, my guy already did 7 windows with the Polyether Multi-Caulk from west marine. How far before I know I should have used the rubber?[h=1][/h]
    Last edited by Gusshr; 01-04-2017 at 12:00 PM.

few months now with plenty of rainy episodes, and no leak (we used caulking only). Will keep watching.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL