Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Galley Maid Vertical Windlass

i was able to get a factory manual from Galley Maid on their windlasses. Unfortunately, the pdf must be too big to load on the forum (1mb). if anyone would like a copy of it just message me your email and I will send it over. I never realized that you are not supposed to lower the anchor with the motor but only by releasing the nut on the top of the capstan. News to me.

Re: Galley Maid Vertical Windlass

Then why make reversing motors!?

I have always lowered my anchor from the bow by releasing the clutch. Mostly because it drops much faster.

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Quote Originally Posted by billwilletts View Post
    i was able to get a factory manual from Galley Maid on their windlasses. Unfortunately, the pdf must be too big to load on the forum (1mb). if anyone would like a copy of it just message me your email and I will send it over. I never realized that you are not supposed to lower the anchor with the motor but only by releasing the nut on the top of the capstan. News to me.
    I had been lowering the anchor with the windlass and one day the winch began to grumble. One of GM's employees lives near me and he came by and modified my windlass to be able to add a down thrust bearing and all is well.

Bobk

Thumbs up Re: Galley Maid Vertical Windlass

PM sent. Thanks!

FWIW, GM copied the Ideal Windlass to the point that Ideal sued them. GM, to avoid the issue, then produced their version of the Ideal windlass WITHOUT the thrust bearing that allows lowering the anchor with the windlass motor. SO...the OEM GM windlass cannot lower the anchor with the windlass motor without eventually destroying the associated parts. The solution is EITHER: have a thrust bearing - a'la Ideal - installed OR do NOT use the motor to lower the anchor.

So... If you have an OEM GM windlass, you should not lower the anchor with the windlass motor, only let it free fall. If you have an Ideal windlass, you can do it either way. From the factory, some Hatts seem to have had GM, others seem to have had Ideal.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I've had both Galley Maid and Ideal and given the choice, I will take the Ideal every time hands down. Besides I don't like thieves or cheats and Ideal had it first.

BTW I have a very large Galley Maid (rope only) that I removed from my present boat about 15 years ago and it's in very good condition. If anyone is interested in it, PM me but remember that it would be pretty expensive to ship from NJ even though I would sell it cheap. Galley Maid can convert it to chain and line and include power down bearing but for the cost, it's probably not worth the trouble. My previous Hatteras (43 DC) had a Goode on it which I promptly replaced with a new Ideal. It cost a good bit more than than most others but well worth it.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by TROUBLE View Post
    I have always lowered my anchor from the bow by releasing the clutch. Mostly because it drops much faster.

Art
    Exactly
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California