Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Project 1968 Hatteras 31c

So I got the 68' moved to the backyard and off the trailer this weekend. Got her sitting high on the stands at the moment. Probably going to go ahead and do the bottom paint while I have her this high on the stands. Might as well not fight gravity any more often than necessary. After bottom paint I'll lower her down to help with access. If no one minds I'll chronicle the work here on our forum.
    I'm going to cut the cockpit deck out and pull the fuel tank as well as the engines with transmissions. When all that is out I'll be cleaning up the engine compartment and painting it. Both engines will be gone through and freshened up as needed. Engines are 350 MPI Horizon gas motors from Mercruiser. Installed new in 2002 but only 212 hours . New engines and velvet drives from the dealer.
    I've got the dreaded ethanol fuel tank problem. Black slime from decomposing polyester resin on the bottom of the tank. I'll document the fuel tank debacle as it unfolds. My research indicates no one has fixed a fiberglass tank. If I can fix mine by cutting the bottom off and glassing a replacement on it may save others a few thousand dollars.resized1.jpg20170311_111547.jpg

Re: Project 1968 Hatteras 31c

I've always liked the look of your model. When it came out in '68 I thought about one but I bought a Trojan instead for a whole lot less money. The difference is now obvious, the Trojan I'm sure has long since been gone while your Hatteras still looks good and hopefully you will complete a fine restoration. And yes by all means most of us would like to follow your progress vicariously through your posts and pictures.

Regarding the fuel tanks, it seems to me that there must be some sort of coating like epoxy or other that would withstand the action of ethenol laced gasoline. I would look into that and then consider cutting off the TOP of the gas tanks while you have access and completely coat the inside with whatever coating that will do the job. You will also need to coat the underside of the cut off top before you re-install and glass it back together. I am not a chemist by any stretch but one of our active forum members is... bobk (PhD Chemistry) with many years in plastics etc. Perhaps he can give his opinion on the feasibility of such a job.

Good luck, keep us posted

Walt

These are the posts which are viewed the most. Each one of us learns from adventures like yours, so please document with photos and script. I look forward to your updates. Best of luck and thank you for restoring one of our classic ladies.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Regarding the fuel tanks, it seems to me that there must be some sort of coating like epoxy or other that would withstand the action of ethenol laced gasoline. I would look into that and then consider cutting off the TOP of the gas tanks while you have access and completely coat the inside with whatever coating that will do the job. You will also need to coat the underside of the cut off top before you re-install and glass it back together. I am not a chemist by any stretch but one of our active forum members is... bobk (PhD Chemistry) with many years in plastics etc. Perhaps he can give his opinion on the feasibility of such a job.

Good luck, keep us posted

Walt
    There are some risks in what I think I understand Walt's suggestion to be, i.e. lining a severely degraded tank with alcohol resistant material. I would prefer to use the existing tank as a form within which you build a totally new tank (with appropriate baffles). That will eliminate the possibility of the new lining coming lose as the seemingly good part of the old tank continues to degrade. What ever you do, do it right. Remember you are dealing with a very flammable/explosive material.

Bobk

Pretty exciting stuff! Although I've restored other yachts (Chris-Craft, Viking) we are considering tackling our first Hatteras. Please share your trials and tribulations for all of us!
    As far as the fuel tanks go, I've never gone through the effort to refurbish an old, degrading tank. To me, it's always been worth the expense to have the piece of mind in knowing I have new, modern material tanks suppling the needed fuel.
    Best of Luck!

Monel is the ultimate metal fuel tank. $$$. heres one for sale on ebay, if it fits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/135-GALLON-M...5TGJwV&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by bostonhatteras; 03-12-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Monel is a great alloy, I worked around it for years on a navy base and in a machine shop. Usually round stock, interesting to see it used for a fuel cell in flat stock. Current dimensions for the factory tank installed by Hatteras are:
    24" high, 24" deep (fore to aft) and 96" wide. So it's a very simple dimension to repair or duplicate.
    Thanks for all the support and comments thus far. I have been following the forum for over 2 years now and this is the finest group of people I have encountered on the interwebs.
    I've priced an aluminum fuel tank built by a local shop that does that kind of work regularly. If my idea to repair doesn't work that is my default. 20170311_111611.jpg

You need to add keel blocks. The boat is not properly supported in the pics
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

X2....keel blocks are an absolute necessity, you are just asking for expensive trouble !
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

Quote Originally Posted by hoop1013 View Post
    X2....keel blocks are an absolute necessity, you are just asking for expensive trouble !
    Or DEATH!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381