Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: 1978 Convertible Really Only Worth $40K?

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Would have to be a 46 with 8V71ti's only Conv I know in 78 with that power they did put a few 8/92's in the 53
    X2 on it being a 46C. 40K may be a bit cheap but hard to say without more details. A good one with 8V71TIs won't bring much over 60-70K
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    X2 on it being a 46C. 40K may be a bit cheap but hard to say without more details. A good one with 8V71TIs won't bring much over 60-70K
    115k ask on a 1984 with repower m11. It sucks getting old.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Hey krush, Just remember getting old sure beats the alternative. Besides you have the world by the short one's at your age. Older Hatt's are at a bargain price, especially if you're handy with tools and are not lazy or unable for other valid reasons. Your old 41 is a very good example. You can buy what was formally a very expensive toy for a small fraction of what it would cost new and with a good bit of work and some $ you can have a new boat. Lots of examples right on this forum such as what Quinton is doing with his older CC Roamer. Now I said YOU because you're still young enough and I assume in good physical condition, plus you sound to me from all your past posts over the years to have the brains to figure out how to fix or replace just about anything on a boat.

Old guys can usually afford to pay someone to work on their boat, while young guys have the stamina but not necessarily the $ since that's when you have other pesky expenses like making a life for yourself and usually a spouse and children. Actually now that I think about it I am really blessed to have lived through possibly the best times in our country's history (1937 - ?)....so I'm OK with getting old, but still kicking and boating.

Walt

p.s. I still look at young women, but I forgot why......

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Older Hatt's are at a bargain price, especially if you're handy with tools and are not lazy or unable for other valid reasons. Your old 41 is a very good example. You can buy what was formally a very expensive toy for a small fraction of what it would cost new and with a good bit of work and some $ you can have a new boat. Lots of examples right on this forum such as what Quinton is doing with his older CC Roamer.
    I didn't buy a boat that needs major work. I'm old enough and wise enough to know the fault in that! Today's market has some amazing boats for good prices that are not projects. I'm too old for a project...I want to be boating!

For what it's worth, my boat had a complete refit down to all new wiring, new cummings 8.3 new shafts/struts (2inch) and tons of other work done to it. I have a few projects that I want to tackle, but it needs nothing major. I suggest anybody shopping look for the same--unless they need a hobby to keep them out of the old lady's hair LOL.

Krush, I understand that your boat was/is not a "project" boat, but you still have done a good bit of work on it since you bought it not too long ago. Almost any 30 -50 year old boat could stand to have some improvements. The definition of project for one person does not necessarily mean the same to another. Could your boat stand to have new paint job or windows replaced or re-bedded, stantions re-bedded, engine room detailed etc.... maybe yes, maybe no but I'll bet some things apply and that is to be expected on most boats of our vintages. What is in your opinion a "project boat" and at what point does it become a "re-fit". I consider what Yachtsman Willy did some years ago a project just as what Q is doing but as one gets older smaller issues become "projects" because they often require more effort and stamina than one is willing or able to do. My point is that the term "project" as it applies to boat work is very subjective.

Walt

I would say a project boat is one that may run, but isn't usable at present. Other thoughts?

The 8V71's are slow, and to make matters worse, my dad loved to run them at 1700 because he
    was afraid of wasting fuel. You really don't want to cross the Bahama Bank and the Tongue of the Ocean at 1700.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Man that Video was Painful
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

No kidding. I especially liked all the heavy breathing and the barnacles and crappy bottom paint. Really shows off the boat.