Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: Seeking 50 to 58 MY. Moving up from smaller boat.

I hold the record for the longest boat search (only to eventually be surpassed by Passages, lol). My advice is don't be in a rush, and BS and talk to lots of people. The boat you want, is likely to be the one that hasn't been listed yet.

Only other comment is this: I don't see how people can use a boat without a cockpit....ESPECIALLY if you are going to have young'ins aboard.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Kismet, my galley-up 58MY (4 stateroom/4 head model) will be on the market later this summer as soon as I get done working through a punch list I've made for myself. I have a guy lined up at the end of June to do some engine detailing and painting, and after that, whenever he's finished, she should be ready for sale. Lots of updates - galley, flooring, AC, all freshwater Vacuflush, new mattresses, and a new clothes washer should be delivered this coming week.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

our 58' 1975 yachtfish is for sale. she is dialed in and probably the nicest 58' anywhere. my email is trip@usa.net if you want to contact me. we live in the Fort Lauderdale area. our Hatt is behind our house.

You. Eat me to the post.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I just saw mikeP's 53my on YW. that is one beautiful boat and just out of my reach, otherwise it would be mine.

And the new record holder for fastest sale of a Hatteras yacht, at least in recent memory.

Congrats on your decision to go Hatteras - we looked for greater than 10 years up / down the east coast looking at all kinds with 5 offers that surveyed, then at the point of giving up picked up a 58MY 30 miles away. purchased in 2013 and my live-aboard since.

A couple thoughts -my views after 4 years on the boat

Condition
    • always get the oil tested all engines - it will tell you what you need to know about the engines
    • check the engine rust - there is only so much metal there and risers and manifolds are expensive (I used Prep and Etch Home Depot and stopped the rust dead in its tracks!)
    • check the hoses and clamps - a common maint item that reflect on the overall maint
    • check the head hoses - if still on salt water then this is going to be an issue with the scale buildup which will often make you think its the pumps
    • look inside the cabinets - water damage might be there coming from windows or counter tops
    • check the appliances - if then need to be replaced (or soon might) then how difficult will that be... very difficult on lower galley boat
    • AC - the lower AC is just going to have issues - but after years i've got it under control - the man is Eric Swanson in St Pete
    Comfort
    • I preferred the 15-11 beam - the 18-2 on 58MY is wider but a pencil runs better then a box through the water
    • I preferred the lower galley - it suited us as its not always visible and we wanted to enjoy the boat time more - so leaving dished, no problem
    • Oh and after falling down that bridge ladder a few times (58MY) I installed an aluminum circular staircase on the aft deck - so walking up to the grill with a hand full of food is no problem.
    Other thoughts

My engines 8V92TA don't seem to be a problem , I travel a min of 50hrs per year and the maint is the annual fluids etc $1000+. I'd be happy to change them, but then I looked at Electric which is the best solution. So a $100k refit as a budget, which would be unbelievably cheap would pay for 40k gallons (at .5g/knt at 8kts a really long trip), or a whole lot of repairs. Keep in mind these engines are a very common truck/bus engine and parts are everywhere - i get my parts/filters at the local GM Truck dealership.
    Last edited by robertprovencher; 06-11-2017 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm in the process of listing my 50MY. It's Hull No.1, 1964.

I was recently made aware of a 1974 58 yachtfish for sale listed at $99,000. Pics looked very good to me online. It was located in Ft Lauderdale and is a brokerage yacht.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Kismet, my galley-up 58MY (4 stateroom/4 head model) will be on the market later this summer as soon as I get done working through a punch list I've made for myself. I have a guy lined up at the end of June to do some engine detailing and painting, and after that, whenever he's finished, she should be ready for sale. Lots of updates - galley, flooring, AC, all freshwater Vacuflush, new mattresses, and a new clothes washer should be delivered this coming week.
    What? Mike and now you too Angela! It must be contagious. Can you say anything about your plans?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee