Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Seeking 50 to 58 MY. Moving up from smaller boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hatt View Post
    I looked at the 60 hatteras in stuart last year. A dr. Owns the boat per the broker. It was well taken care of but he said the engines needed to be over hauled. The master stateroom wood had been painted, I prefer the wood.
    I prefer the wood also plus my own search got harder this evening my wife informed me she wants galley up, which I don't blame her.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

For what its worth from a rookie, I'll give you my observations.

56 MY in Jax is a project that is too much for me. If the seller got serious with his price it could be a reasonable project for the right buyer.

58 MY in Jupiter at Knot 10. Was promised a spec sheet from the broker but it never arrived. Orig electronics, unknown hours on engines. Reasonable condition.

60 in Stewart at Allied Marine. Very musty and moldy smell throughout. Vinyl wall paper over walls everywhere. 5800 hours. Started engines and very little smoke.

61 Cockpit in Juniper. Tried several times to contact broker, no reply.

Moving on in South Fla next to Lighthouse Point and perhaps back to Jupiter again, then to Miami and the Keys...and then who knows.

Thanks again to everyone for the primer.

Jim

This 61 just moved to the next slip from us. Looks in excellent shape.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...s#.WJtRBTI8KaN

Personally I don't like the balcony and prefer an aft deck but if the interior is as good as the exterior she is worth a serious look

The Bimini and soft enclosure looks good, brightwork is being maintained as I speak by one of the best varnished around and she has a nice deep fiberglass swimatofrm

I think Angela saw the inside and may comment
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    This 61 just moved to the next slip from us. Looks in excellent shape.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...s#.WJtRBTI8KaN

Personally I don't like the balcony and prefer an aft deck but if the interior is as good as the exterior she is worth a serious look

The Bimini and soft enclosure looks good, brightwork is being maintained as I speak by one of the best varnished around and she has a nice deep fiberglass swimatofrm

I think Angela saw the inside and may comment
    She looks like a beautiful boat.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Thanks, definitely worth a look. Making arrangements now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    Thanks, definitely worth a look. Making arrangements now.
    Please let us know what your opinion of her is.
    Regards;
    Byron
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

looked at a 61 in Lighthouse Point today. Decent condition. Furnishings and carpets need to go. Problem is that the hour meters don't make sense and there is no documentation as to what it may be. That is a bit scary to me. Priced to sell.

looked at a 61 in Lighthouse Point today. Decent condition. Furnishings and carpets need to go. Problem is that the hour meters don't make sense and there is no documentation as to what it may be. That is a bit scary to me. Priced to sell.
    Make an offer based on survey and engine survey, there are enough people there to guide you to good surveyor and a good Detroit Diesel Surveyor. That is if you like the boat enough to make an offer.
    Regards;
    Byron
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

I think I will pass, but it is a galley up, so you may want to take a look

Hour meters don't mean much.
    1) on a boat this old who knows whether they have been operational for her whole life or not.
    2) The engines were probably overhauled at some point
    3) Even with accurate meters, the only way to know the actual condition is a survey. Low hours doesn't necessarily mean good engines and conversely, higher hours doesn't mean bad.

If you like the boat, don't let the meters deter you. Make an offer contingent on satisfactory engine survey.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI