Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Powder coating vs paint

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Powder coat seems to hold up better in my experience.
    i painted the window frames for two straight years. they are fiberglass now. Made by look out windows in Morehead

http://www.boatersbook.com/Businesse...Frames/_L2DGFn

Jel coat or painted no matter mine are black jeicoated and sparke like new paint every year now. Yes he makes hatches
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 01-25-2017 at 07:58 PM.

If you have the equipment and expertise to paint, then paint them. I'm not a big fan of powdercoat. My painted Bomar hatches look great after 32 years. My powdercoated aftermarket Jeep bumper needed work after 5 years so I painted it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We used aluminum-colored Imron and a clear coat over it on my window frames.That was fully 15 years ago and they are holding up nicely.

As far as powder coating goes, I think it depends a lot on who does it. I have had some hold up very well, and some that began to chip way too soon. I suppose like any coating it depends a lot of how well it was prepped.

About 25 years ago we made a hard enclosure with sliding glass windows on the after deck of my last 43DC. The aluminum frame material was bought from Hatteras (Steve McPherson was still working at the High Point plant in charge of parts). The frame material was the same that Hatteras used to make the sliding salon windows (2 glass tracks and 1 screen). After I finished welding and fitting them I took them to an anodizing shop in PA since NJ environmental laws did not permit the process. They did a process called Duranatic, which is a form of anodizing. Today they still look great and are a perfect match to the original dark bronze window frames from the Hatteras factory. You may want to look into that process as well as paint or powder coating. I don't know if other colors except dark bronze is available. Regular anodizing is available in lots of colors but I don't know how it would hold up in the harsh marine environment. Duranatic is widely used on window and door frames in strip shopping centers and it holds up extremely well in that application as well.

Walt

5. Re: Powder coating vs paint

I like paint as compare to powder coating. but If you have equipment then you can go for paint. i have painted my boat two year ago so i suggest you to go for paint.

If they are older Bomar hatches, they are likely an aluminum-magnesium alloy (Almag)… likely Almag 35 which is now commonly called Alloy 535. I have the spec datasheet if you need it.

Several years ago on a different boat I refurbished all my Bomar hatches. I opted to go with powder coat as I had tried to repaint them in place over the years with poor results. There is actually marine grade powder coat materials... so all powder coat processes and materials are not the same. I went wit the Tiger Drylac Series 38 powder coat material and the Tiger Shield System specially formulated for marine environments.

https://www.tiger-coatings.us/filead...urable_TDU.pdf

https://www.tiger-coatings.us/filead...ow_res_-_2.pdf

My recommendation is to find a good powder coater and have them powder coated with marine grade material.

Here's some pics of mine... first one is before pic... second two are after pics...

I did mine in 2012 and when I sold the boat in June 2019 they still looked the same as the day I installed them...

Hatch Before.JPG

Hatch After 002.JPG

Hatch After 001.JPG
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Sorry... I didn't realize this thread was from 2017 and just piled on....
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL