Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spray Control

1. Re: Spray Control

I added a pair of the Smart Rail spray rails to my 36. It did reduced the spray a good bit in most conditions but if you go out on any day that is just a bit sporty, you will still get the free deck wash (bridge included at no extra cost).

Re: Spray Control

It's hard to imagine any spray rails bolted on doing MUCH to alleviate spray -- face it guys, Hatts are heavy-displacement. That's why we love them, but the downside is spray...flare or no, you can't avoid it when you're displacing that much water out to just fwd of amidships. Doesn't take much wind to pick it up. Sure LOOKs impressive, though!

FWIW, I've heard Vikings are way worse. I talked to a guy who does a lot of running gear work on mid-to-large sportfishers. He told me they went on a sea trial on a 55 or 60' Viking sportfish. It was a model with a fully glassed-in bridge, and as they were running out of my home inlet (Hillsborough Inlet, SE Florida) the captain started up the wipers while still inside the jetty. This puzzled the running gear guy, because he looked fwd and saw nothing worse than 4-footers, even right there at the inlet. Sure enough, in about two seconds drenching sprays come right over the bow quarters and just pasted those fwd bridge windows. But then again, most of the modern Vikings have even less flare than Hatts, and their hulls tend to be pretty low-freeboard, too. Sure are popular down here, though, especially for the crowd to whom money is no object.

-- Paul

what's the bid deal about rinsing the spray at the end of the day? only takes a few minutes... i keep a coil hose connected with a Y valve at the inlet (no check valve i guess).
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Akyla I added a pair of the Smart Rail spray rails to my 36. It did reduced the spray a good bit in most conditions but if you go out on any day that is just a bit sporty, you will still get the free deck wash (bridge included at no extra cost).
    I second that with my with my 34C with smart rails. I was told by a buddy who builds boats most GOOD Offshore boats throw spray
    Hoping with more power and lighter load bow will be up and the spray will be less. Oh well we will see .
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I built and installed "Lifting Rails" on my 45C about 3 or 4 years ago, primarily based on plans available from Tom Slane. Full length and real beefy. Has cut way down on spray and Has in fact picked me up about 2.5 knots at cruise.

I do agree with the comments regarding total elimination of spray. If there is no spray you are at the dock.

OldHatt45

6. Spray Control

Oldhatt: Can you describe "lift rails"..as in width..Did you make any other changes that might have also contributed to additional speed?? 2.5kts is a huge change....Did Slane forecast a speed increase?? How much??

I put 3 1/4" wide, full length pvc lift/ spray rails on my 15 knot cruise gen 1 38. Wow, the boat tracked better at ALL speeds and climbs up earlier. I picked up a knot at cruise and the boat is drier at all speeds, where I used to have to wear a mask and snorkle on some days- although the ride is choppier, especially if I'm running in a "washing machine", I'd do it all again.

If you could pick up 2.5 knots with some rails, Hatt would have put them on every boat. My 53My has the factory spray rails fore and aft and you can still get everything from spray to solid green water over the bow. You can see positioning on the picture here. It probably helps some, but nothing will keep all spray off.

Doug

but nothing will keep all spray off.
    Sure there is just like OldHatt45 said No spray if your at the Dock!!!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Cool Re: Spray Control

I have spray and lift rails on my 56 FDMY. Even with the bow thruster and stabilizers I still manage to sneak up on 19 knots (18.6 -19.2 @ WOT) and she says pretty dry assuming that the seas are less than 1-1.5'.

From the flybridge, its almost ALWAYS dry.

And I agree with Pascal, a little spray down after a run just adds to the therapy.......
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"