Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spray Control

1. Spray Control

Salt water residue on decks and windows drives me nuts. Can any Hatts run over 15 knots or so without spray getting on board?? Does greater forward flare on newer boats keep more spray off??

The major reason I began cruising at 10 or 11 knots instead of 16 or so was absence of spray onboard. I found in many reasonable weather circumstances I did not have to rinse down the boat after travel at ten knots. Because I spend six months aboard and often cruise every few days higher higher speed cruising was really annoying. It took MORE time because it would take about an hour at arrival to get the salt spray off...especially in the aft cockpit... Similarly, my Whaler across the stern would be crusted and with a dog I have to keep that clean and dry else to dog tracks eveything aboard...

I added PVC spray rails about 4" above the water line (at the bow) for ten feet either side....that helps a bit but not a lot. They would work better in mild chop had I installed them another few inches higher. In big seas waves mostly just wash right up the side of the hull.

Re: Spray Control

I have found, as Pascoe says, that our 53(MY) "Throws water like a busted fire hydrant." They are definitely wet boats though that has nothing to do with seakeeping ability. If we are heading into the wind at 10 knots and the wind is more than a few knots, we will definitely take spray aboard. The lack of bow flare pretty much ensures this will happen. Of course, at the same time, the lack of bow flare makes for a much better ride and less pounding.

On our boat there there seems to be less spray when planing then when operating at displacement speeds. I assume that because the bow is higher, there is less water being "pumped" by the bow riding up and down.

3. Re: Spray Control

My 45C will at times take MORE spray at 9kts than at 18!

Its not a dry boat..... its the lack of flare - it gets thrown up in the air and if the wind blows it back on you.....

I met a 42' Post owner at Block Island last summer who installed something similar. I think he called them 'lift' rails. Anyway, if you are familar with Posts, they are a Jersey style sportfish with LOTS of fair. Guess what? He still gets spray.

Sometimes the wind & waves conspire against you - and you get sprayed no matter what you do.

Show me a boat that doesn't take spray and I'll show you a boat in the yard.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

People who fancy Davis'es and similar boats with lots of forward flare swear by them and say that spray is much reduced. The price for that is lots less interior room, although they are very pretty boats. Some of the coastal Carolina boats have LOTS of flare. Has anyone run these and do they have any comment? Davis runs a lot of sexy ads showing the water coming off in sheets- and not coming up on deck, but I suspect they are not going into a headwind for the photos.

To paraphrase the California Governor - "Only Girlie-Men worry about spray"

This is why you want big, monster, highperformance engines (jokingly)...so you can go so fast the spray has no time to get at you!

I'd be interested in hearing more on this topic...about what you can do. I rarely get wet but when it does happen its irritating. I was wondering if there is any modifications or add ons that would help a smaller vessel like mine?....Or just go faster?

9. Spray Control

Only "girlie men" may worry about spray, I'll grant you. But when salt gets tracked inside on rugs, dampness ensues and it's really unpleasant. Further, our aluminum framed windows and anodized rub rails, tops and towers do a lot better when rinsed of salt residue. Fresh water cruising: good for all the above reasons, but worse for water intrusion into fiberglass bottom laminate. Buts it's still fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackman
    I was wondering if there is any modifications or add ons that would help a smaller vessel like mine?
    The spray/lift rails help, just don't expect spray to be eliminated.