Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Anyone remember the old Bimini ? Got a story ?

I would bet good money that Ernest Hemingway, while he was in Bimini back in the thirties, and then looked at Bimini in the 1980s would probably have thought well... There goes the neighborhood. Those were certainly his good days. And you know, when you stop to think about it, what rounds off an afternoon of fishing better than taking a machine gun and shooting at sharks? Sure can't do that stuff anymoreAll depends on your point of view and just when those good old days took place. Bimini right now are the good old days for someone who's out there today. Thanks for all your input

We re starting to see changes in the Exumas too. More boats, more homes on Staniel Cay. It s still the Exumas but right now we re docked at SCYC and there are 3 moorings charter cats. Moorings has just opened a base in NAS

I lived in St Barth’s from 1981 thru 1994. It was amazing. In the early 90s there used to be probably 50 to 70 boats in the harbor and anchored right outside for New Year’s Eve .. biggest was probably 130’ back then. Last new year eve i looked at AIS on Marine Trafgic and there must have been 500 boats anchored all the way to the end of the island... I don’t even want to go back to visit Every hull side has been covered with villas...

Remember the past and enjoy the present while you can
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    We re starting to see changes in the Exumas too. More boats, more homes on Staniel Cay. It s still the Exumas but right now we re docked at SCYC and there are 3 moorings charter cats. Moorings has just opened a base in NAS I lived in St Barth’s from 1981 thru 1994. It was amazing. In the early 90s there used to be probably 50 to 70 boats in the harbor and anchored right outside for New Year’s Eve .. biggest was probably 130’ back then. Last new year eve i looked at AIS on Marine Trafgic and there must have been 500 boats anchored all the way to the end of the island... I don’t even want to go back to visit Every hull side has been covered with villas...Remember the past and enjoy the present while you can
    If that is not a lesson in life I don't know what is. I think probably we were in the Bahamas during the golden years because now there are so many boats there that you almost don't want to contend with all the hassles. I lived aboard my 51 foot in the Abacos for three years, back in the late 90s, and already you could see that it was starting to get crowded. People began really discovering the Bahamas during that decade. The changes I saw from the early 1990s to the late 1990s was astounding. Your story about Staniel and st. Barts just serves to underscore that whole thing.Great information Pascal, thanks

We re heading back to Miami this week end after a little over a month in the Exumas. There are still many anchorages where we were alone but every year the number of boats and the average size is going up. Excluding sailboats, I d say the average size of the motoyachts has to be about 100’ In the last two days we saw at least 6 or 7 boats over 200’...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I remember back in the 1960s over on Lake Erie, my dad had a 25 foot Chris Craft Cavalier and that was an average sized boat. There was one guy in the marina that had a 36-foot boat and it had on it... A genset! Man I'll tell you if you had something 35 feet or more you were styling. Nowadays 60 to 70 is a nice size but people aren't overly impressed anymore. The big size has shifted to 100ft.I think you said you were in route back to the States so have a great trip and thanks for your input. Things are certainly changing out there

Be careful what you wish for.... The larger they are the more maintenance they require, either by the
    owner or his checkbook. Years ago the founder of Wendy's had a megayacht built and hired a captain
    and crew for it. After a couple of years he got rid of it and bought a "small" yacht (about 50 something
    feet) that he and his family could run themselves and have lots of privacy. Now that doesn't mean that
    having a large mega yacht is bad, it's just a matter of preference. Dave Thomas was a good example.

Walt

While costs are higher on a larger boat because either you the paying dockage, diver, haul out by foot or because the parts are bigger and more expensive, the chores, times it takes to do them are pretty much the same whether you re on a 50 footer or a 90 footer.

If anything access is better on a larger boat making it easier to fix thing.

From my point of view, as the owner/operator of a 53 footer and as the full time captain of an 84 footer, work is pretty much the same. Whether I have to clear a air con strainer, change an impeller or change oil in a genset... it makes no difference. same with rinsing the boat after a run... the extra 30’ adds a few minutes

Both boats have the same number of thru hulls, chillers, engines, rudders, alternators, starters, battery chargers etc ...obviously 30’ LOA adds costs but not more work while cruising.

The big question is whether an owner wants a crew or not. Privacy vs service.i can see why someone who can afford a crew will enjoy not having to go change a watermaker filter after a run, rinse the boat or carry and set up the boarding stairs when stopping at a dock...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Sorry that your last post took me so long to reply to Pascal, but that's a great point... The boat may be larger and might require another gallon or two of bottom paint, but in the grand scheme of things you normally have the same number of engines, generators, through hull fittings... And I've seen 60 foot boats with 12v 71 and I've seen 90 ft boats that also have the same engine. Increased maintenance? Maybe but perhaps not as much as you might think.

We re starting to see changes in the Exumas too. More boats, more homes on Staniel Cay. It s still the Exumas but right now we re docked at SCYC and there are 3 moorings charter cats. Moorings has just opened a base in NAS

I lived in St Barth’s from 1981 thru 1994. It was amazing. In the early 90s there used to be probably 50 to 70 boats in the harbor and anchored right outside for New Year’s Eve .. biggest was probably 130’ back then. Last new year eve i looked at AIS on Marine Trafgic and there must have been 500 boats anchored all the way to the end of the island... I don’t even want to go back to visit Every hull side has been covered with villas...

130 ft was enormous back then...I recall being a kid in the 60's and visiting Francis Langford's "Outrigger" restaurant in Jensen Beach. This haven for Florida socialites (Jackie Gleason and others) often saw her 100' plus steel hulled vessel, "Chanticleer" docked there. My Dad and I were there during Easter around '65 or '66 and I heard him yelling, "Stevie, Stevie...come see this boat!"

Now we were boaters back on the Great Lakes with my Dad's 25 ft Woodie Chris, so I thought, heck...this must be reaching 40 ft or so. (an enormous length back in Buffalo during that time).

I turned the corner and there she was...dark hull and all. I thought "shazam!" what a boat! I inched up to the salon window (not tinted back then) and saw a Baby Grand Piano...wow.

After that experience, a true signature for a yacht was to be able to have a baby grand in the salon. Ironically, that boat was purchased and refit and, keeping the same name, now is a fixture at the Mariott Marina in Jensen Beach. It's still big, even by today's standards. Thankfully, the Outrigger restaurant is still there in all her glory, too, but renamed "Dolphin Bar"

Is the Baby Grand still in the boat...? don't know.
    Last edited by WA2DDL; 08-18-2022 at 09:30 AM.

If that isn't a solid life lesson, I don't know what is. +1