Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Anyone remember the old Bimini ? Got a story ?

That's for sure

We used to dive there in the late 80s. A friend's dad in Pompano had a 39' Ocean with 6v53s. We always made it back but something was usually wrong with one of them. Usually I'd take the Chaulk's seaplane over and ride back on the boat. Great times and the protected areas of reef were world class.

There was an elderly and mostly toothless woman at the front door of Hemingway's who would proposition most men as they walked-in. When she was gone, it was never the same.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Chaulk's Airlines - now that is a name I haven't heard for a long time. Don Smith who was the Dock Master at Big Game, was on board the flight that crashed along with, I believe, his grandchildren. On a happier note, that was one of the things that made Bimini, Bimini.. sitting back on the fly bridge in the morning with a cup of coffee watching Chaulk's land only two or three hundred feet away. Boy, does that bring memories back.

Anchored out and that darn Chalks sea plane landing rite in-between 20 boats.
    I remember the fire and Bimini was never the same again.

Well if you want to see seaplanes land you can dock at world resort Bimini bay, watch them land and drop off budget passengers with baggy pants/underwear showing gold chains and gold teeth, tattoos and all. And if you re lucky you ll be ringside when they all start fighting after they ve one too many.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    We used to dive there in the late 80s. A friend's dad in Pompano had a 39' Ocean with 6v53s. We always made it back but something was usually wrong with one of them. Usually I'd take the Chaulk's seaplane over and ride back on the boat. Great times and the protected areas of reef were world class.

There was an elderly and mostly toothless woman at the front door of Hemingway's who would proposition most men as they walked-in. When she was gone, it was never the same.
    2 dollas mista.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Anchored out and that darn Chalks sea plane landing rite in-between 20 boats. I remember the fire and Bimini was never the same again.
    Spot on! I don't think Bimini was ever the same after the Compleat Angler burned. Another turning point was Ossie Brown's murder. He was very savvy with Americans and knew how to make them feel welcome and knew how to entertain. I think I mentioned before that I loved listening to the band rocking it's heart out late Saturday night only two have all the music suddenly stop and half the lights go out because they overloaded the circuits.. again!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Well if you want to see seaplanes land you can dock at world resort Bimini bay, watch them land and drop off budget passengers with baggy pants/underwear showing gold chains and gold teeth, tattoos and all. And if you re lucky you ll be ringside when they all start fighting after they ve one too many.
    Yeah, you just can't pay for entertainment like that anymore