Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for general info on 45/46 convertible

Hi, I’m a few years off from moving into my first sportfish and I have it narrowed down between the Bertram 46.6/46 and the Hatteras 45/46. I’ve got a lot of input from Bertram guys but I want to see what you Hatteras owners think about the platform? The goal would be to buy the boat either already refit or have a total refit done on a good candidate hull. It’ll be used primarily for fishing and cruising with the wife and kids. Any/all input is greatly appreciated.

Re: Looking for general info on 45/46 convertible

I have a 46 and there are several owners on here. Mine is the series II but has the 8V71's instead of 92's. I would look for this series if you are going to re-power. They have beefed up hulls and larger shafts (2.5") to handle more horsepower. It is easier to handle than my 55C was and is better on fuel. The 46 Hatteras has a stand up engine room which is nice. Both companies built good boats

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I have a 46 and there are several owners on here. Mine is the series II but has the 8V71's instead of 92's. I would look for this series if you are going to re-power. They have beefed up hulls and larger shafts (2.5") to handle more horsepower. It is easier to handle than my 55C was and is better on fuel. The 46 Hatteras has a stand up engine room which is nice. Both companies built good boats
    Stand up engine room on a 46?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Bertram ride great but the deep vee hull is horrible trolling at 8-12 knots The 46 Hatt is a much better boat. I ran charters on several different 46 Hatts back in the day. Most were overnight trips to the NE offshore canyons. Payed out in all kinds of weather. Never a problem.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Hunched over but nearly stand up. My friends 88 48 ER sucks compared to mine. I have cocktail parties in mine!😁
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Bertram ride great but the deep vee hull is horrible trolling at 8-12 knots The 46 Hatt is a much better boat. I ran charters on several different 46 Hatts back in the day. Most were overnight trips to the NE offshore canyons. Payed out in all kinds of weather. Never a problem.
    This is exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    What are the different series of the 46? I've read there is a series III? Any layout or year designed better than other for maintenance, gen set location, AC, house electronic setup? Granted all of these systems will be replaced/heavily updated but the bones and space provided is very important.

What do you think optimal power package would be for the 46?

Quote Originally Posted by Picknasty View Post
    What are the different series of the 46? I've read there is a series III? Any layout or year designed better than other for maintenance, gen set location, AC, house electronic setup? Granted all of these systems will be replaced/heavily updated but the bones and space provided is very important.

What do you think optimal power package would be for the 46?
    You can see the model brochures on the blue bar on the top of the page. Series 1 and 2 are similar with many different layouts. All series 2 were built to same spec as the HP so very beefy. Plus I believe the series 1 engine room is smaller (but I really don't know). Series 3 46 is more modern and may have DDEC Detroit's.

There are many repowered and even restored 46's out there. Some are well kept and still have good Detroit's. Detroit's have an undeserved bad rap and can run well with proper PM. And any engine needs PM.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I am 6' and have almost as much headroom as my 55C had.If I was 5'3 and 300 pounds I would be able to stand up in it and eat fudge rounds. Plus with the hatch open it truly is a stand up. Way easier to work in than most other boats with engine room access via the salon.

The original 45C was a fine boat in her day, but quite dated now. The Series 2 45C seems to be a bit smaller than the later 46s, but it's capable of serious speed when repowered. From all I have read (I've only been on a few of each and not in bad weather) they are both excellent boats, the 45C a bit faster and perhaps not quite as sturdy but still very well made.