Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Helm bench seat

Helm bench seat

We are considering having a helm bench seat built to replace two bar chairs we currently use in the main steering station (salon) of our 58YF. I've searched the forum for pictures or threads about these bench seats but haven't found any yet. If anyone on the HOF has such a seat, I would greatly appreciate pictures. Would also be interested in comments, good or bad, about using a bench seat for the lower helm, or any suggestions about construction, etc. Thx.

Michael
    Southern Comfort, 1977 58YF
    Ocean Marine YC, Portsmouth, VA

Re: Helm bench seat

There is a gentleman here on Kent Island who makes them; they are very fine but they do cost. He's here seasonally (not in winter). Can get you contact info by p.m. if you think that may be an avenue of interest.

We are considering this route as well. Friends we know that have this type of seat really enjoy them.

I generally recall seeing some boats on Yachtworld with bench helm seats, they probably were not a 58YF, but a search for Hatteras in the 53 - 58 range should find what you are looking for.
    Regards,
    Vincent

Thanks for the responses. Holtcl... I sent you an e-mail.

Ignore the holiday garland, but here's ours:

George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

And one more:

George
    2007-2014

Very, very nice. It looks very comfortable. Thanks for posting these pics.

There is another year 'round guy on Kent Island, also very good. He did a custom TV cabinet plus some other stuff for Mike P on his 53. This guy will probably come to Chesapeake Va for you. PM me for contact. Maybe Mike P will weigh in with his experience as well.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Thanks, I like this set up a lot. You can cruise with your arm around your sweetie just like back in the day; this boat reminds me of driving an old Caddy in a lot of ways.

The nav electronics are all mounted up on the soffit above the helm, which has it's pros and cons, but works pretty well with the high seat. I have a remote for the auto pilot so you can sit back and relax, or stand behind the helm and keep one eye on the water and one on the critical ball game or horse race, with great visibility to the nav electronics too, though I've only done that three or four times.

The little foot rest needs to be done better; that is a winter project, maybe. It should be curved cornered and rounded; also supported better so it can be used as a step.

If you can create a wiring chase under the thing, it has obvious dual purpose benefits especially with modern flat screen TVs. Replacing that old style LCD with a bigger one (we don't need the speakers) is also on the list. Running cables is not easy the way mine was done, but we have managed.

I had a 58YF in my list of finalists before we bought this boat. It did not have a lower helm chair. I think mine would have to be scaled down to about 2/3 to work with the narrower beam and smaller salon.
    George
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    There is another year 'round guy on Kent Island, also very good. He did a custom TV cabinet plus some other stuff for Mike P on his 53. This guy will probably come to Chesapeake Va for you. PM me for contact. Maybe Mike P will weigh in with his experience as well.
    This may be a little late for any kind of response but if someone could PM me the information for the guy over on Kent island.. gosh I was just there two weeks ago looking at a 61 ft Hatteras - actually a 56 with a factory cockpit - I could have gone there and talked with him in person. My 53 that we are taking delivery on in about two more weeks needs a lower helm bench seat. Any info please PM me, thanks