Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CUMMINS Engine Model: QSC 540

There is a 58 YF for sale in Jacksonville, FL with these engines. I know several people with Cummins engines and they are very happy with them. I don't know anything about the model QSC 540, are they good engines for a 58 YF?

Re: CUMMINS Engine Model: QSC 540

Should have a lot of room in the er. That's an 8.3 electronic engine. Considering the space you have its gong to be great to work on. The 11 litre engine may be longer lived there but it's a lot bigger and heavier.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Should have a lot of room in the er. That's an 8.3 electronic engine. Considering the space you have its gong to be great to work on. The 11 litre engine may be longer lived there but it's a lot bigger and heavier.
    I know the specs on the 8.3 liter but not on the old engines, is the 8.3 liter enough engine to replace the old engines? If not you'd have a lot of boat but not enough engine, that would be my main concern about them. The old Detroit engines were 8 cylinders while these are only 6 cylinder engines, I know modern engines are more efficient but are they enough for the size of the boat?

My friend who is a Cummins dealer runs these in his Bertram 46c. They are great motors

They would be fine, I think. A friend has a 53 with the 450hp version of that engine, and it goes like crazy. Fastest 53MY I've ever seen.

Don't have any advice, but Cummings owners (and others) might find the rich history of the company interesting, having run a car at Indianapolis in 1931 and finishing the race for the first time running nonstop. In 1934 both 2-cycle and 4-cycle cars were entered and in 1950 an all aluminum supercharged engine with 345 hp. in 1952 Cummings was the first to use a turbocharger at Indi and the first diesel to capture the pole position. Recommend reading. https://www.amazon.com/Diesel-Odysse.../dp/0615590152

Boatdiesel.com has an entire forum on QSC's. Everyone is very happy with them. The most important maintance item on them are the aftercoolers. In salt water they need to be taken of the boat about every two years for cleaning. An acid flush is not recommended because that does not clean the air side of the coolers and can damage the O rings.

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/index.c...0&Forum_ID=602

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    I know the specs on the 8.3 liter but not on the old engines, is the 8.3 liter enough engine to replace the old engines? If not you'd have a lot of boat but not enough engine, that would be my main concern about them. The old Detroit engines were 8 cylinders while these are only 6 cylinder engines, I know modern engines are more efficient but are they enough for the size of the boat?
    They should be a HUGE improvement over the 8V71s. More power, better economy, cleaner, quieter, less weight and much more room in the ER. Fantastic upgrade that someone else spent a lot of cash on and you get the benefit of.
    Last edited by saltshaker; 01-18-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    Jack Sardina

That's a lot of boat for that engine. I don't know what they are rated to run at continuously with those higher output ratings. I know the electronics let them crank 'em upu some, but the mechanical 8.3 is 430hp (and that isn't continuous).

Good engine, but I wouldn't expect to go super fast with them.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    There is a 58 YF for sale in Jacksonville, FL with these engines. I know several people with Cummins engines and they are very happy with them. I don't know anything about the model QSC 540, are they good engines for a 58 YF?
    I'm familiar with this boat. He's a fellow member at our yacht club and he is the former owner of Lambs Marine in Jacksonville. The interior is great, but the exterior is showing its age. I haven't ridden on it, but sounds very smooth & quiet. He and his Son did the repower at Lambs. He has lowered the price some.
    Art