Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Re: Thinking of buying 85ft. Hatt extended MY

Quote Originally Posted by WA2DDL View Post
    Are you in South Florida? I need to talk to you within the next few weeks and roll around a few ideas since you have about the same boat (I think you do, right?). .
    You're mixing me up with somebody else (not sure who). I have a recently aquired 1968 41c. It has the original dark wood interior (and I do like it). Now, I've been in a lot of boats and RV's. In fact, my RV has oak interior and is very light...and my friend has similar RV with walnut (much darker). The "feel" is just much happier with the lighter wood. I'd own a boat with lighter wood too. Light finishes in the hallway make a huge difference. Hard to believe something so simple could make such a change, but it does.

Many people don't like the lighter wood interior on newer hatts because it's not traditional. BUT (just my opinion), it does make the space feel more open and happy. I think the problem is that in some cases, there is just too much light wood. Maybe break it up with pictures or something?!??

I'm not an artist, i'm an enginerd....so I take logic to appearances most of the time. But I've watched enough of them crazy TV house re-do shows to see that a change of paint and a few cheesey easy-to-make shelfs or etc here and there, new furniture, and a hideous room can look amazing!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    A Roamer of this size is a completely different animal. It would be aluminum, which introduces an entirely new level of complexity and risk. I think you should stick to FRP boats. If you want an aluminum boat, you might be wise to do some reading up on them. FRP is at least inert chemically in water. Aluminum immediately begins trying to dissolve into its component molecules.
    We re going to view a Roamer tomorrow. But, I agree with you that aluminum is problematic, just here in Florida the aircraft corrosion is astounding, so you are speaking to the choir.
    So, then why am I looking at Roamer? My Dad owed a Chris in the 60's...would like to go aboard and see what it has to offer. I'll probably stay with FRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    I would recommend you listen to him. I bought a "modified" boat back in 2004 and the handling was a nightmare, I should have know better but wanted a live aboard boat. It was great for that but when ever you took it out the handling was dramatically different from a non modified Chris Craft Roamer. Tread lightly with any modification to the original design of a hull.

Those are well spoken words, if we get to a sea trial, I'll have a better idea of what it has to offer, problem is that there is no real trial like your first storm.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    You're mixing me up with somebody else (not sure who). I have a recently aquired 1968 41c. ....so I take logic to appearances most of the time. But I've watched enough of them crazy TV house re-do shows to see that a change of paint and a few cheesey easy-to-make shelfs or etc here and there, new furniture, and a hideous room can look amazing!
    Hmm...apologies. I thought you were in Miami with a streteched 78 ft. Hatt.

One thing the Bluewater did not have was Blisters. How much of a problem is this with the Hatts?

We are much out of my size and budget range here, but we're talking boats-so I cannot resist throwing out a few thoughts. First We have not discussed if we are operating at displacement speeds here or we really think we are going to plane. If displacement, the extra length could actually improve economy. You know 1.34 x sq root of WL length. Now if we have dreams of plaining, we got all that extra weight and all that crazy extra bouancy aft. I don't see how this works, assuming original design was spot-on.

I know many of these extensions are done, and a lot of respected and expereinced yards are involved. But 15' is a lot as others have stated. With rec boats, anything goes it seems. Consider such a move for a commercial fishing boat. Any Deadliest Catch fans down there? The famous Northwestern, build be Marco of Seattle in 1977 was 108' at launch. She has been extended twice by 8' each time to accomodate increased quota of crab. I'm such several million each time. Well, NA involvement is a must. The USCG will need to see a stack of paperwork. The insurance company may actually have a guy leave the office and pay a visit, assuming he can actually find the waterfront. And of course here we have the advantage of steel. They can add the new right where the NA wants it. Gotta be new shaft at least, and total replumb of the holds, bigger pumps, etc, etc.

None of this occurs, it seems, with pleasure craft.

I have no idea why a couple needs such a big boat, but I am not married! But curious- if you need this size, why not buy an oldie (Hatt of course) that was that size out of the factory?

Gary

This boat is not a gasser. There is no real benefit to running a single engine. Many drawbacks and longevity on diesels is not an issue at hull speed.

The design of old hatts is right on. They were made to run on 2 engines at all speeds. They also steer better with 2 engines as the rudders are small for a single.

When I was docked by the barge canal in the middle of all the ridiculous speed limits I almost never had the chance to plane for months at a time. No big deal. I put hundreds of hours on with no issues and was able to plane when we ran further from the slow zones. I never ran on one engine and I have twin disk transmissions. I burned so little fuel on the engines , the genny burned as much or more.

Plan on using the boat as it was designed.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    This boat is not a gasser. There is no real benefit to running a single engine. Many drawbacks and longevity on diesels is not an issue at hull speed.

I never ran on one engine and I have twin disk transmissions. I burned so little fuel on the engines , the genny burned as much or more.

Plan on using the boat as it was designed.
    I'll certainly give it consideration; you guys know more about these than I do; that's why I am here.
    Gotta run, looking at aluminum can at 1 today
    Last edited by WA2DDL; 01-14-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryNW View Post
    ...I know many of these extensions are done, and a lot of respected and expereinced yards are involved. But 15' is a lot as others have stated. With rec boats, anything goes it seems. Consider such a move for a commercial fishing boat. Any Deadliest Catch fans down there? The famous Northwestern, build be Marco of Seattle in 1977 was 108' at launch. She has been extended twice by 8' each time to accomodate increased quota of crab. I'm such several million each time. Well, NA involvement is a must. The USCG will need to see a stack of paperwork. The insurance company may actually have a guy leave the office and pay a visit, assuming he can actually find the waterfront. And of course here we have the advantage of steel. They can add the new right where the NA wants it. Gotta be new shaft at least, and total replumb of the holds, bigger pumps, etc, etc.

None of this occurs, it seems, with pleasure craft...
    Gary
    The cockpit extension discussion and debate is so interesting. I was searching for info and came across this example that was supposedly completed by Hatteras back at the factory. From the listing:

" Hatteras cockpit motor yacht that began life as a 65′, then Hatteras added the 9′ cockpit extension at the factory. *She is now 74 feet with a large aft deck and a much larger master stateroom."

IF I were going to go thru with an extension on our 58, I would love to have it look even remotely like this one:

Hatteras Cockpit Ext 2.jpg

Also interesting that it is all above the water line:

Hatteras Cockpit Ext 1.jpg
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

What the hell is it with all these single engine runners lately? Freebird must have been out cross-pollinating.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ith-engine-off
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381