Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Re: Thinking of buying 85ft. Hatt extended MY

Genies can go well over 10k hours. The boat I ran for 9 years has two NL 20s with 9k and no sign they're about to go kaboom ... no smoke,no issues

Wtawrmakers..: it depends. Membranes do get weaker with time. 6-8 years maybe they're not too expensive.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Genies can go well over 10k hours. The boat I ran for 9 years has two NL 20s with 9k and no sign they're about to go kaboom ... no smoke,no issues

Wtawrmakers..: it depends. Membranes do get weaker with time. 6-8 years maybe they're not too expensive.
    Uhh...that knocked me over. I was hoping that 3 to 4 would be acceptable. That is a big green checkmark in the genset box...thanks.

ok Everyone. Tell me where I am going wrong here:

Having lived aboard a 51 ft. for years, I realized that the interior got pretty small with the wife and a 'tater tot running around, particularly in the Bahamas when the weather forced you to stay inside. I always wanted a 65 to 70.

So, based on that, I am thinking this; buy for size, gut for appearance, plan on 40 year old systems breaking now and then.

You all have the background and experience on this vessel that I just do not have...am I in the ballpark or way off base with this philosophy?

...BTW, thanks to all for the detective work on this vessel, I guess I owe a lot of Kalik Golds if we ever meet up in Bimini.

Quote Originally Posted by WA2DDL View Post
    Uhh...that knocked me over. I was hoping that 3 to 4 would be acceptable. That is a big green checkmark in the genset box...thanks.
    To get those hours, you need to run them correctly and shut down correctly, as well as maintain them correctly. Keep the generator under load when it is running, disconnect power and let it run a minute or two to cool before shutting down, keep electrical end clean so air flows well for cooling, oil changes etc.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    To get those hours, you need to run them correctly and shut down correctly, as well as maintain them correctly. Keep the generator under load when it is running, disconnect power and let it run a minute or two to cool before shutting down, keep electrical end clean so air flows well for cooling, oil changes etc.

Bobk
    Thanks, that was much more than I figured I could get out of them but your suggestions are part of the longevity program and it seems that I just need to run the N/L gennys like the 12KW gasser I had in the previous boat.
    Still not convinced this is "the" boat, although when you begin seeing "thru" many of the cosmetic problems and peer into the future of what it would be like when cleaned, replaced, repaired...etc. then it is becoming higher on the list.
    Wont be ready to purchase for 2 to 3 months yet, so I have ample time to decide and begin to get my dinghies in a row.

The light interior makes it feel bigger and no like a dungeon. It may grow on you. A few accents to break it up and i'm sure it would look super.

In my experience, it's not the old OEM systems that will give you the most issues....it's the "owner modifications" even if done by a "yard" that tend to be the issue.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    The light interior makes it feel bigger and no like a dungeon. It may grow on you. A few accents to break it up and i'm sure it would look super.

In my experience, it's not the old OEM systems that will give you the most issues....it's the "owner modifications" even if done by a "yard" that tend to be the issue.
    Isn't that always the case? No one "does it" like OEM. That was why I was concerned about the extension, it was not done by Hatt. Thanks.

[QUOTE=krush;305045]The light interior makes it feel bigger and no like a dungeon. It may grow on you. A few accents to break it up and i'm sure it would look super.

You know, Krush...I am beginning to think you are really on to something here. Having looked at the video that "Trouble" posted for me and thinking about what you said above, my wife and I are now considering this boat with much more seriousness than before.
    If you get rid of the furniture, rip out the carpet and go over everything with soap and water followed with Clorox and water, lay some wood flooring and new furniture...this just might take less money to bring it up to snuff than originally thought.
    Are you in South Florida? I need to talk to you within the next few weeks and roll around a few ideas since you have about the same boat (I think you do, right?). Would like to stop by and see the boat when you have some time.
    What is it called when all lines intersect to a common point?...the Bermuda triangle or something? Anyway, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I would stay away from anything with a cockpit extension. In my experience, Hatteras designed these boats very well and most modifications to OEM are more of a detriment than an enhancement. There are a bunch of other Hatts in that size and price range to choose from.
    I would recommend you listen to him. I bought a "modified" boat back in 2004 and the handling was a nightmare, I should have know better but wanted a live aboard boat. It was great for that but when ever you took it out the handling was dramatically different from a non modified Chris Craft Roamer. Tread lightly with any modification to the original design of a hull.

A Roamer of this size is a completely different animal. It would be aluminum, which introduces an entirely new level of complexity and risk. I think you should stick to FRP boats. If you want an aluminum boat, you might be wise to do some reading up on them. FRP is at least inert chemically in water. Aluminum immediately begins trying to dissolve into its component molecules.