Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: Thinking of buying 85ft. Hatt extended MY

As far as the extension, I've ran boats with good ones and bad ones. If it was done well and isn't "Overly" extended you should be fine. But who did it and the design plays a major part in my opinion. Issues with extensions can be this. If the extension is too long and there is no uppward taper to the hull bottom it can sometimes add too much additional boyancy to the rear of the vessel causing it to actually run negative at certain speeds and make it more prone to stuffing the bow in a big head sea. That same issue can cause the boat to becaome a bit squirrly in a following sea. A 15 foot extension seems pretty long to me without moving the running gear at all or shifting some weight aft on the boat, I could be 100% wrong but that seems like a lot. The good thing is though, with all that added running surface it will improve your displacement speed average and you'll have less worry of the boat squatting. Again for me it comes down to who designed it, and who installed it. I can say though I've been on numerous 65 Hatteras MY converted to 74CPMY's, a 9 ft extension, and they seemed to handled just fine with no real side effects, and most did NOT move the running gear.

Tony
    Last edited by capttonyf; 01-12-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks, Tony...that Is the Info I need to hear. Only time will tell If the extension Is squirrely or not and let me correct the extension, it is 12 ft. LWL. The boat is 82 LWL and 85 LOA, up from 70ft.

Here's a pic, everyone.
    Attached Images

15' sounds pretty big for an extension. It better have been designed right. As others mentioned the concerns are too much buoyancy aft and also lack of leverage for the rudders to handle following seas, especially in an inlet

Things to look for.... water getting in the decks and causing core rot. Both on the main deck and also the top deck most boats have a few soft spots and that's an easy fix. Larger areas can get costly

The systems are pretty well build in these boats unless butchered by previous owners. Loose wires, clamped hoses hanging out etc.

Air con is definitely a frequent source of issues but no worst than any other boat. I ve had to replace compressors on late model boats I run as often as on mine. When you have 5 of them it adds up to some $ every year as in average the newer ones last 6 to 9 years

The DD are good engines but will be extensive to rebuild when the time comes. A good engine survey is critical

I m not a big fan of the 10% ballpark maintenance cost but I guess it's a starting point. What skews it is the initial cost of the boat. The older the boat, the lower the value but the higher the maintenance. I would personally budget at least 10% of the purchase cost in initial maintenance and upgrades.

As to nav equipment, don't go overboard like so many folks do when they buy a boat. See what you really need and how and where you will use the boat. Up north a good radar is critical... down south not so much. aome folks mostly run from the flybrdge, others rarely so you may not need a full fancy networked system. Unless budget is unlimited.

Nowadays you d be surprised how good an iPad with garmin blue chart can be
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My boat is a 1984 61MY extended with a 9' cockpit. There is a 500 gallon extra fuel tank in the lazarette but it's not used. Hul tapers upwards towards transom and boat sits just fine. With props and enlarged rudders the boat turns like a top when mooring or anchoring but steering is a little twitchy at 7 knots. Steering fine at 8 knots. My only comment is that the quality of finish of the extension was not as exact as the Hatteras factory's. but it's strong, looks good, does the job and has lasted 30 years. On my boat they left the original transom in place and simply attached the prefabricated cockpit extension. The scarfing in and reinforcement of the cockpit to the hull and sides is amazing. The boats original name can still be seen on the original transom. Looking at your proposed boat the extended area is unlikely to fall off.

Pascal and scottinsydney
    Thanks for your input. Particularly on the build of the systems. They seem solid enough upon first look, but items like watermakers are just another word for artificial reef in my book. I am budgeting around $100k to get the interior and avionics up to par.The stbd engine has just been overhauled and has under 100 hrs...the port has about 2000 and that worries me a bit. What is the life of a genny that has been given adequate care? I have 2 N/L 20kw's onboard, both under 2000 hrs, I believe (need to check that in the listing again to be sure).
    Ironically, there is only 1 garmin nav system onboard with 1 GPS...I need a backup, besides my cell phone and an install of Navionics. I cruise the Bahamas quite a bit and would like to do the great lakes...even the Loop if I can get under that 19 footer in Chicago.

That boat was called My Emeralds and stayed at Va. Va . for years.

Chilled water AC systems is something I am looking into. It seems many of the newer boats are using these. They have a few chillers (unitized compressor / evaporator) that cool water and pump it to each air handler. As opposed to a split system that has a a compressor (probably in genny room) for each zone that uses refrigerant piped to each air handler / evaporator in each zone.

Not sure if the chiller system is more efficient or not? I would think that they are.

RPM Diesel of Ft Lauderdale did the surveys of my Detroits in 2005. They also did the oil analysis for me. Dont remember the techs name, but he was spot on with the maintenance that would be required. I think the survey was reasonable but they are $$ for service.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

That's the boat that used to be owned by the Albano family? Wow!! I think that was the first Hatteras I ever saw. At least that I knew I was looking at one.

In the photo she looks nice.

All the comments above are worthwhile. The extension is only as good as the folks who did it, plus how it's been taken care of.

All these boats are old, now, and have a lot of complex systems. Figure a year to get everything sorted out, and quite a few kilobucks.

We've had a thread running on AC systems. I think if I were replacing all the ACs on a boat that large I too would think about CW systems. To me, they seem less complex and there is the added benefit of fewer through-hulls and not running refrigerant all over the boat.

Any set of engines in a boat that big will be expensive to major. However, virtually all of them had DDs, so you are more than likely to own DDs if you buy an older Hatteras MY. Unless the boat has been repowered which is pointless in my view. DDs are old technology, but there are millions of them out there and a good set of them will run reliably and keep you going for a long time. They can be thirsty and messy, but they will run for decades. And if you think DDs cost a lot to major, price replacements for them in a boat that size. You'll get chest pain.

I recall seeing "My Emeralds" out of the water many years ago, but I am not sure if I would have noticed that the boat had been extended. That was in Portsmouth, VA, but I don't recall the name of the yard. Might have been Scott's Marine, but I am not certain. Small world, if she's the same boat.