Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Re: Thinking of buying 85ft. Hatt extended MY

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    The listing is rather short on specifics. What engines are they, 12-v71s?
    Yeah 12v 71 t i with the twin disk MG 514 Transmissions, with a 3 to 1.... I'm not sure what injector size injectors he has in there... maybe 120s ... he figures the shaft horsepower at about 750, so maybe only 90s for injectors.. And although this was not in your particular post, I did mess up on the times on engines. They are just a little under three thousand hours. I must have gotten messed up with that other 65-foot Pacifica that I was looking at before. They had 8v92 with 2000 hours on them and I was really a little reluctant about buying that boat with those engines and that many hours. I heard the 8 vs are only good for about 2,000 hours before TBO.Let's just see what happens on this one. Maybe it'll go through maybe not, but after two years I think I might be in contention for the longest time spent before purchasing a boat

...Speaking of MG-514s...does anyone know if they can windmill the props (I think the term is something like "backloaded") if that engine is shut down? I believe I read something about MGs able to do that but need a 5 minute engine start every so many hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ralexa6808 View Post
    Just my 2 cents....and that's all it's worth, but the powerboat listing ad you provided shows 2,885 hours on the mains not 2,000 as you reported. Not a significant difference but at almost 0 more hours it's important when it's comes to accuracy for engines.

Get the best surveyor you can, it will be worth 10x what you pay Him. Glad your getting engine oil analysis too.

Again my 2 cents but based on your posts it sounds like your head over heels in love with this boat. Rose tinted glasses may be involved here and it could bias your judgement (don't ask me how I know). There will be discovery's after the sale that you will find out about that hopefully won't break the bank, or you enthusiasm.

Best of luck to you,
    R
    Thanks...Will need a survey to satisfy the bank, I am sure. as for the glasses, I am not really sold on this boat and walked away from it once; could probably do it again. With as many things that I like about it, there are some difficult things to get over, such as a Main Salon which is not full beam. You spend a lot of waking hours in the salon...that's my biggest problem with it. The rest are "just" money issues for subtle changes here and there.

I'm just curious. Was there any kind of actual engineering analyses done to accommodate this 12ft. extension? Paperwork which validates the hydrodynamics and structural integrity of the boat to prove it wasn't significantly compromised from original design intent with the added length?
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Quote Originally Posted by WA2DDL View Post
    So... just who is Krush or is it better off if I just don't know?
    He's a long time, short timer on here (young) who bought a 41C from another long time, old timer on here. I had the pleasure of meeting him in person a few years ago and showed him around on the river here in my Hatt.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    I'm just curious. Was there any kind of actual engineering analyses done to accommodate this 12ft. extension? Paperwork which validates the hydrodynamics and structural integrity of the boat to prove it wasn't significantly compromised from original design intent with the added length?
    Jeez... now I am curious, too.

The yards that did most of the Hatteras extensions back in the day more than knew what they were doing, mainly Hatteras of Lauderdale and Cable Marine. Wouldn't be worried about any issues, etc, probably stronger than the rest of the boat. it was soooooo interesting walking those yard at that time.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    The yards that did most of the Hatteras extensions back in the day more than knew what they were doing, mainly Hatteras of Lauderdale and Cable Marine. Wouldn't be worried about any issues, etc, probably stronger than the rest of the boat. it was soooooo interesting walking those yard at that time.
    Thanks Cricket, that puts my mind at ease. I believe it was Lauderdale where it was done but I will certainly ask... Now for another question, how prone to blistering are 1977 models?

Probably no worse than average, but no Hatteras ever sank from blisters. Admittedly, a blister job on an 85 foot yacht is going to be quite expensive, but everything on an 85 foot yacht will be expensive.

Which yard did the 12 foot extension? Just curious. I recall that both H of L and Cable were well up to the task and knew what they were doing, they did a lot of hull extensions. I would wonder how the boat would handle at low speeds, though, with the wheels twelve feet forward of the transom. Pascal, any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Probably no worse than average, but no Hatteras ever sank from blisters. Admittedly, a blister job on an 85 foot yacht is going to be quite expensive, but everything on an 85 foot yacht will be expensive.

Which yard did the 12 foot extension? Just curious. I recall that both H of L and Cable were well up to the task and knew what they were doing, they did a lot of hull extensions. I would wonder how the boat would handle at low speeds, though, with the wheels twelve feet forward of the transom. Pascal, any comments?

I think I have to go back one or two owners. I asked the current owner and am waiting for an answer. He is currently out on his deep sea tug, I'll pass that along ASAP.

I did get a chance to look at the boat yesterday, while my wife and I drove back from JAX (boat is in St. Augustine) and went through it for the first time since he upgraded the interior...Well, there is certainly a lot of "Freshening up" yet to be done but his head is in the right place. Carpeting, walls, furniture have all been changed or are the process of, but big items (like props, which were removed and reconditioned; one of the 3 air condx compressors (chilled water) was upgraded to a 36,000 BTU which is adequate for the boat. The second is also a 36,000 and the third I don't know about; and previous engine controls changed over to single combo throttle/shifter setup (knot sure of the name); entire hull sanded down to gelcoat and repainted, things like that are being addressed.

With all of that, I am still not sure about the boat...that is one small main salon and stateroom for live aboard