Hi,

New to the group and did a search on this particular situation before posting but found nothing that was spot on.
Situation is this, I am going to buy another boat after selling my 51ft. Bluewater, back in 2000. Wife is game and we have located some nice 70's era boats; queen of them is a 70ft. Hatt...series 1, I think, which was extended to an 85 LOA boat.
12V71ti's power her with 120 injectors and running gear not extended. interior is a bit tired and needs freshening up, but not too bad. Generally in good shape for a 1977 and owned for 6 years by an Atlantic tug Captain up in NY/NJ area. He is knowledgeable and competent.
Question is this...do these extensions usually give problems either structurally or performance wise? a 15 ft. extension is a lot and I was initially worried about the gear not being extended, but I read that that is usually not a problem. Anything I should watch out for? I know the people who worked on the extension and they have experience with this type of work.
What are some of the usual suspects I need to look out for prior to purchase that plagues Hatts? What problems should I look for with the Detroits (had gassers in the Bluewater). More concerned with the extension and problems you might have had.
Background is Commercial Pilot gone FAA, then into upper airline management (no names please), who lived aboard for about 8 years - 3 of which were in the Bahamas - and am seeing a whole new world open up with a truly big boat and diesel power.
Any hints, anecdotes would be appreciated...suggestions for nav equipment?

Thanks in advance.