Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Can anyone tell me what the material is on the bathroom walls?

Is it formica? I'm trying to patch up some (like 12) old screw holes left in one of the heads by a previous owner. Trying some gel coat scratch/chip repair stuff right now.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Can anyone tell me what the material is on the bathroom walls?

Picture?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Melamine or Formica or something very similar.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Post Re: Can anyone tell me what the material is on the bathroom walls?

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Picture?
    I already filled the holes, so I can't take a picture. It looks like melamine, formica or something like seven said.

It appears to have a hard shell layer then a dense brown board backing that is maybe 1/8" thick (really can't tell as it was just screw holes)

The material reminds of the stuff they use on tub surrounds, or used to anyways. Not sure what it was/is called.

I used a gel coat repair paste called Evercoat gel coat scratch patch. (it says it works for formica too)

I had some SeamFil but it was Almond color and way to dark.

After putting the SeamFil on, not liking the color and wiping it out, then using the Evercoat, I would swear they are the same product. At least in consistency and similar instructions anyways.
    The SeamFil actually seamed to hang on the wall better, the Evercoat was a little runny.

The Evercoat your supposed to put it on then wipe off the excess with a plastic scraper after 15 minutes. That wasn't going to happen as it just wanted to run down the wall. So I put painters tape over it and am letting it dry.
    The bright side is it says it can be removed with mineral spirits for up to 5 or 6 days.

The Evercoat was ridiculously expensive at $22 for a small tube.
    The SeamFil product was about $7 for a tube but I had to buy it online.

I'll post a pic if it works out.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    I already filled the holes, so I can't take a picture. It looks like melamine, formica or something like seven said.

It appears to have a hard shell layer then a dense brown board backing that is maybe 1/8" thick (really can't tell as it was just screw holes)

The material reminds of the stuff they use on tub surrounds, or used to anyways. Not sure what it was/is called.

I used a gel coat repair paste called Evercoat gel coat scratch patch. (it says it works for formica too)

I had some SeamFil but it was Almond color and way to dark.

After putting the SeamFil on, not liking the color and wiping it out, then using the Evercoat, I would swear they are the same product. At least in consistency and similar instructions anyways.
    The SeamFil actually seamed to hang on the wall better, the Evercoat was a little runny.

The Evercoat your supposed to put it on then wipe off the excess with a plastic scraper after 15 minutes. That wasn't going to happen as it just wanted to run down the wall. So I put painters tape over it and am letting it dry.
    The bright side is it says it can be removed with mineral spirits for up to 5 or 6 days.

The Evercoat was ridiculously expensive at $22 for a small tube.
    The SeamFil product was about $7 for a tube but I had to buy it online.

I'll post a pic if it works out.
    You probably don't need this info now but someone else may appreciate it. Stone countertop installers, whether real stone like granite/marble or manufactured like Caesarstone / Corian, use a translucent polyester that they color to match the stone first with their little assortment of colorants, then add the catalyst. Like so many others, they don't know the difference between epoxy and polyester, so they just call it 'poxy' but its polyester using MEKP as the catalyst. Find an installer/fabricator who will give you some as its cheap as dirt to them and you're in business. They wipe it into the seams (holes in this case) with a plastic body putty spreader and wipe away the excess with a razor blade.

On my 1970 53 it is Formica or one of its close cousin
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat